Follow-up

Most are prolly pronounced CAY-ro, like Michigan has its Milan (MILE-un).

7 Likes

I’ve only been to Milan a few times, but always pronounced it Mi-LAHN when I was going because it made me feel very fancy.

8 Likes

Well done you!

I insisted on firmly whispering Nur-VAHN-uh whenever I passed a sign for Nirvana (locally pron. Nur-VAY-nuh), Michigan. tophat-cry

ETA: Let’s not neglect Versailles (vur-SAILS), Kintecky. It simply wouldn’t do.

8 Likes

Michigan deep cut! I had to look up Nirvana, I had no clue where it was (or how locals pronounced it). I spent some time in Milwaukee, and their Mackinac Avenue (with a Nack instead of a Naw) made me do this every time I heard it pronounced:

Scared Cringe GIF by O&O, Inc

5 Likes

My Grandpa laughed at me when I correctly pronounced Nirvana as we passed a sign, and he told how it’s locally pronounced. I was - and still am - suitably horrified.

Of course French speakers must be suitably horrified by both those mispronunciations of Mackinac!

5 Likes

At least Nur-VAY-nuh has a pleasant sound (even if it should be spelled differently). MACK-in-ACK is just ugly. Idk what native French speakers would think of it, but not being a French word, I don’t think about it much.

ETA: This was not meant to be a defense of local pronunciation of Nirvana in Michigan, I agree that it is horrifying.

4 Likes

Heliopolis, The City of The Sun. The Egyptians called it Iunu, (that’s a capital i) and tha bib-lee called it On.

Some New Kingdom pharaohs had a title within their names, heqa-Iunu-shema, “Lord of Upper Egyptian Heliopolis,” that is, Thebes.

Tutankhamun
Adopted name (top): Tutankhamun Heqaiunushema (“Living image of Amun, Ruler of Heliopolis in Upper Egypt”)

The heqa-Iunu-shema title starts after the ankh.

Throne name: Nebkheperure (“Lord of Manifestations is Re”)

That’s the one we see most often, and it is a lovely sort of monogram. Simple and elegant.

Above pic and info via Neferchichi

5 Likes

I saw the Mountain Goats a few weeks ago, and they did not play the one song by them about Georgia:

But he did play Alpha Omega and he sang it correctly (unlike the original version). He explained that when he wrote the song he hadn’t been living in the south for very long and didn’t know better… we forgave him!

5 Likes

I really hope to see The Mountain Goats one day. If you’re reading this, please come to the U.P., John! My celebratory reaction is not in reference to them not playing Going to Georgia (I don’t get that choice), but to fucking up, recognizing it, fixing it, and being forgiven. That’s the stuff right there. Speaking as a fuck-up trying to do better, and maybe succeeding from time to time.

7 Likes

They were really great! I’m only familiar with some of their work (which, he’s been making music since the 90s, so…), but I totally enjoyed everything that they played, even if I didn’t know the song… And it’s clear that John is just having the time of his life up there… If you get a chance to go, you should do it, even if you have to travel a bit to see them…

5 Likes

Is it not reasonable to expect everyone that I want to see perform live to come to my remote neck of the wilderness? Huh… you’ve given me something to think about :joy:

5 Likes

I wish… I used to live further away from ATL and getting to shows was harder… and it’s only recently that I’ve been going back to shows after a while of not doing so (aduliting is why)… It’s so expensive for mid-level bands like them to go touring, so I understand not going to out of the way places as much…

5 Likes

Totally understandable, they have to make it affordable. The U.P. is the kind of place where mid-level+ performers usually come only because they really like the region. It’s not because they are going to break even.* It makes those performances special, but also very limited. I need to get over my pandemic anxiety and get away to see shows if I want to see them.

*An exception to that would be John Oliver, who came for some reason and basically re-wrote his routine to be “where the fuck did my airplane land?” It was magic and it was genius. I :heart: that guy.

7 Likes
8 Likes

A chilling development in the Cop City story:

The decision doesn’t just affect the Cop City case. Various local press outlets this week have expressed concern after learning about losing free legal help with public records.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

9 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes

Here is the WPATH and USPATH statement:

8 Likes

“President Joe Biden said last month that he was considering a request from Australia to drop the case and let Assange return to his home country.”

Let it go, Joe.

Though I doubt that would happen before the election.

4 Likes