Follow-up

Also, with regards to the Cider Riot / Patriot Prayer riot case, the one person in the Patriot Prayer crew who DID actually commit assault and threw a pepper spray bomb after the mutual combat had ended (as well as removed a woman’s mask and slapped her) WAS convicted of felony riot.

Nobody else involved in either of the groups in the fight were charged as they had agreed to mutual affray, which is legal in Portland.

1 Like

programmers are even more in demand than cops. and there’s literally a whole world of companies to work for. he’ll be “fine”.

( in quotes because if he believes as he does, to lose access would probably be incredibly painful. but in terms of finding more work? i predict it will take 3.5 days to find someone willing to hire him… assuming he just doesn’t coast on stock options and his 401k for the next dozen years )

2 Likes

In an odd way, Tetsuya Yamagami has achieved his objective in assassinating former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, namely: to damage the Unification Church.

Every day, the Japanese press is just bursting with stories, explainers and anecdotes about the evil deeds of the Unification Church: the way they squeeze money out of believers, the dark web of shell companies, the shady ties with politicians…and on and on it goes. The public is on high alert against cults, and the Moonies are public enemy No. 1. The main opposition party in Japan is forming an anti-Moonie task force.

Meanwhile, nothing seems to have come from the rumors that Yamagami himself was a member of the breakoff Sanctuary Church (yet). Yamagami is set to undergo four months of psychological evaluation to assess his competency to stand trial. I believe that the prosecution is doing this as a precaution to remove all doubt.

Japan will be holding a state funeral for Abe on September 27. This is a rather controversial move, as the honor is usually reserved for emperors. In any case, it does not appear that it will be a national holiday…

9 Likes

That doesn’t seem to follow from the article you linked to:

And:

as they had agreed to mutual affray, which is legal in Portland.

This does not appear to be true.

One of the defendants’ lawyers argued that his client shouldn’t be charged because people had ‘agreed’ to fight each other and that shouldn’t be classed as a riot.

The jury evidently disagreed.

Do you have another source for those statements?

5 Likes

It still blows me away that Gibson skated. He planned the whole confrontation. The PP guys didn’t just randomly wander by Cider Riot. They targeted the place and the people there. He formulated a game plan, gathered his group, and told them what to do. That’s not speech; it’s conspiracy and it fits the definition of riot.

7 Likes

Could be good news or bad news depending on which camp you’re in…spenders or savers.

6 Likes
11 Likes

Screaming Harley Quinn GIF by The Suicide Squad

7 Likes
3 Likes

I’ve definitely ordered a martini with blue cheese stuffed olive, hold the martini…

4 Likes

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes
3 Likes

Will my fellow white people stop clutching their pearls about this now?

10 Likes

Nope. Mars colonists in 2254 AD will still be talking about “The Slap.”

30 Rock Eye Roll GIF by TV Land Classic

10 Likes

White people will write that in their histories as the worst crime of the 2020s…

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

There is a god damn wikipedia page about it… FFS…

9 Likes

Cecily Strong Season 44 GIF by Saturday Night Live

11 Likes

the solution is obvious of course to all airline executives. remove the seats! ( the whole effort will be rebranded as “eco-conscious flying.” win, win. )

4 Likes

The odds weren’t astronomical. When I logged into my lottery account I got this life changing notice.

4 Likes

Woman Who Bought Mega Millions Ticket With Coworkers Already Knows How She’ll Dispose Of Their Bodies

8 Likes
8 Likes