Food magazine editor resigns after joking about "killing vegans, one by one"

I’m really looking forward to the day when science produces the fully functional Meat Machine; churning out endless yards of cruelty and antibiotic-free pork belly draft.

9 Likes

Vegan Police!

6 Likes

You don’t like Miyoko’s? Or Chao cheese? You didn’t like Sheese? I’m sure you’ve tried the Violife parmesan. I’m surprised you don’t like any of these.

5 Likes

348c1f559ee4b1adbb543308aaa7cac95e069139_1_500x500

22 Likes

I think the years of gym work is the most important aspect of that.

8 Likes

That read perfectly as a Dr Seuss verse. Was that what you were aiming for, or was it a lucky accident.

6 Likes

There was a great little throwaway story line in Judge Dredd about “Home Synthers”. These were people who were so worried that their food might not be 100% synthetic, that they processed their own.

6 Likes

I’m a poet, and I didn’t even know it!

4 Likes

I think within the context of this thread, the most important aspect of that is how it serves as evidence against the common stereotype that vegans are unhealthy, anemic weirdos.

15 Likes

Honestly my experience has been so negative with some vegans and vegetarians that I have to struggle to remember that the ones who meant me harm are the only ones responsible for those actions. Then again I have the same struggle with like basically all people who present as male so… yeah lashing out is definitely an abuse of privilege that people seem to get away with when vegans are concerned. I guess deep down inside we all have a little enclave of memories of others to whom we’d like to deliver a strong “fuck you.” Ironically one of the most shitty people to me, some one who shamed and humiliated me repeatedly while I was literally going through cancer treatment because I gave up on not eating meat since I was actually falling apart due to malnutrition and disease… that person is now a fundie and a meat eater… that irony makes me remember though that assholes are going to be assholes whatever they eat. It’s really probably time that people stop hating on vegans… if you know one who is an asshole, let them know why they specifically suck and leave the rest of them out of it…

13 Likes

As a vegetarian who is simply vegetarian, and not preachy about it, I can tell you that plenty of meat eaters are happy to tell me off. They especially like to question my parenting. Should we then extend hostility to those who eat meat?

20 Likes

Good memory, my old cucumber.

2 Likes

I follow him on Instagram and, yes, he works out like a madman but he also shows that his non-meat food choices are packed with protein and look pretty tasty.

5 Likes

O! how predictable! an avid omnivore thinks some mass killing and psychological torture is a good and fun idea! :ok_woman:

4 Likes

Wait, I’m not clear on this. Are you a vegan or not? Because I’m not and I’m trying to figure out if I should eat you.

2 Likes

On the same page as this story is the story about the Nurse losing her job for appearing in blackface Halloween fancy Dress.

Both stories are about people who understand the community standard, breach that and have offended people and there is debate on both sides about that offence.

My question isn’t whether the offence is valid or not but what level of offence do we need nowadays for it to result in someone losing their livelihood?

It’s hard to say that this guy has no business editing articles about the overpriced food hawked by a supermarket recently slammed for their psychedelic grasp of student finances and food essentials with a straight face.

Maybe ‘bringing disripute’ needs to be examined more fully as a means of justifying firing people.

1 Like

It does present evidence that more than one type of diet can lead to Adonis-like results if combined with good genetics and working your ass off in the gym. But a minority of exceptions don’t shatter stereotypes (fair or unfair). e.g. Most people who puff on cigars everyday don’t live as long as George Burns.

4 Likes

I’ll just point out that he resigned.

I might also point out that the ‘offence’ is not really the issue in his case. It’s straightforwardly unprofessional conduct to respond in that fashion to a potential contributor.

11 Likes

Mix up some cashews, some cassava root, throw in some smoked paprika, nutritional yeast and you have the start of some delicious cheese. My mouth is watering just thinking of the smoked seaweed I am going to add to my next nut cheese spread.

I understand there are some who prefer the secretions of bovine boobies, and to them I say enjoy, just please, don’t insult my lactoseless lifestyle.

8 Likes

I don’t necessarily think this is how it should be but it’s also hard for me to care. My whole life my livelihood has been 100% disposable and my value has only been in my utility to others and so far as I know will be until I die. It’s actually really hard for me to feel bad for some one with such a luxurious “vocation” who loses a portion of the immense privilege they have been swinging around. Why on earth should a food editor be less disposable than me or anyone else? Is the whole thing fundamentally broken… yeah I think it is, but you know, one thing I’m sure of is none of these high profile assholes give a shit about the rest of society so frankly they had their fun but there’s tons of other people trying to break into the business. People are disposable, until that’s fixed on a large scale I’m not gonna cry for people who basically just overextended their already enormous good fortune. It’s harsh but I’ve adjusted to living in a harsh world, I’ll change my parameters when my environment is better. Change won’t come for the bottom of the barrel until a lot of loss is experience at the top and I am very ok with that, really whether or not I should be, I am. Is popular opinion or style enough to end your career… yes, it is for everyone and especially so for people who depend on popularity for their career. In fact I think they’re only barely beginning to feel the sting through all that insulation.

4 Likes