Food magazine editor resigns after joking about "killing vegans, one by one"

Just asking for a friend?

7 Likes

For the record (you can all stop holding your breath), I don’t really get why the guy resigned. Because he made some dumb jokes? Everyone was outraged that he thought he was funnier than he was?

4 Likes

Agreed. The only vegan cheese substitutes I like are ones that aren’t even trying to be cheese (like vegan parmesan made with cashews, salt, garlic, and yeast).

But I also have to admit that I don’t like cheese.

2 Likes

Might be a long term career move, save face for his employers and stay in good graces there, let things settle down, start working in more visible ways once the noise dies down.

2 Likes

I personally like both. As with so many things, the way to approach this stuff is not to expect a 1:1 relationship. Rather vegan cheese is completely distinct product from dairy cheese that happens to have similar applications. I get grief from my meat-eating friends and family often along the lines of “if you want a cheese burger, why just not eat a cheese burger?” Because I want something in the handy and delicious form factor of a cheese burger, but still eat the way that I want.

6 Likes

People are too often focused on the the long tails of the distribution, and not on the overall shape.

This.

I’ve pretty much moved away from meat and cheese substitutes, especially those that try hard to directly imitate meat and cheese. Those have come to strike me as parts of an intermediate, weaning-off stage.

Tastes in food are mostly habitual. I tried an “impossible burger” recently and didn’t much care for it. Then I realized that’s because I don’t miss the taste of meat. I don’t like the taste of meat anymore, mostly because it’s been so long since I’ve eaten it.

10 Likes

This is a “mystery” that always baffles me.

If you think murder is wrong, why do you play video games with guns in them?

“Because they… Wait, what?”

If you think fur is cruel, why do you wear fake fur?

“Because it… Wait, what?”

If you don’t want to eat a cheeseburger, why do you eat something that isn’t a cheeseburger?

“Because I… Wait, what?”

9 Likes

I agree with you that if you made a list of all the unfair firings in the world by severity, it would take a loooooong time to get to this one to care too much about but this kind of firing (or in this case surely a jump before being pushed resignation) in plain sight, in the public eye must make it easier for companies to fire real people for spurious reasons as it helps set the tone for the value of a person’s job security.

The reality was probably a financial package whereby resignation was worth X amount of money in terms of any golden handshake vs being fired and at this level, I agree the amount of privilege involved relates very little to most people’s experiences but I do think that companies firing people in the public eye when an old fashioned public reprimand/apology would be more appropriate, helps to further undermine job security in general,

I can assure you that eating out when you have a legitimate illness that requires strict dieting is a shitty shitty experience. I honestly almost never use dining as a fun experience, it’s basically my time to sit picking at a very plain salad and having people lash out at me while I desperately try not to be visible because of their own emotional issues around food and eating. It’s an annoyance to others, but it’s literally my whole life… whittled down to how much fun it is for other people. Meh… yeah, honestly I’d rather go listen to a band anyway.

7 Likes

Maybe. But you don’t have to think that somebody is correct in their “ethical scolding” to be annoyed with them for scolding you. People have different ethical systems. It’s the same deal with obsessive religious types. I don’t believe I’m going to Hell (or that there is a Hell) for my behaviors but I don’t like to be told that I am.

3 Likes

I guess I’d feel worse for him if I really thought this was going to have that much of a stigma. Give it six months and no one will remember or care. Also maybe another aspect is to consider that it’s probably a bad time to make jokes about killing off people that annoy you since there seems to be a lot of that kind of rhetoric and a lot of high profile killing and/or attempted murder. I’m not saying this guy was serious or anything, but honestly it’s a pretty bad time to make those kinds of jokes in general and perhaps being a public figure who is tone deaf to their surroundings is a good reason to take a break and question your place in it all.

3 Likes

With cheese.

Vegan cheese isn’t actually bad. It certainly tastes NOTHING like real cheese; if you’re expecting it to do so, you’ll be seriously let down. At worst, it tastes like the kind of imitation half and half cheese they use at cheap pizza places like Pizza Hut or Little Caesars minus the added MSG.

Precisely. I’ve lived in Portland, OR for 14 years and I’ve never once heard one of the many thousands of vegans in town say anything of the like. Many are outspoken, i.e. if the topic turns to diet and food, they are highly educated about veganism.

Absolutely correct.

5 Likes

I do not like vegan cheese.
I do not like any of these.

3 Likes

I think it’s too bad if this topic becomes yet one more discussion of the merit or lack of merit of veganism. We might all be better served by exploring the merit or lack of merit of sarcasm as a communication or lack of communication tool.

6 Likes

You’re welcome to try.

1 Like

Unfortunately you also have Vegan Twitter, which makes people think vegans sound like this:

5 Likes

It’s actually the semantics that bothers me. “Vegan mac and cheese” as a concept irritates me. If it were called a pasta bowl with vegetable something something sauce, I would be all like, “have at it, sir.”

5 Likes

I’ve been vegetarian since I was 11. I’m at the point where the meat counter smells like roadkill on a hot July day. There’s no going back.

7 Likes