For fans of beer honoring a sex-abuse enabler, this one's for you

Either of these works and neither is compromised by the fact of their undertaking being a big, big, big business that lined their pockets quite well.

Friends, sure, idiots, doubtless, willing to risk a very large meal ticket, not likely.

1 Like

What a pathetic article, bordering on slander, and relying on information that is about 4 years out of date.

Paterno was cleared by the original prosecuting attorney in the case, as well as a second one, and a former US Attorney General.

Those who think the Freeh Report has any credibility, read the whole thing, and find any evidence that supports the conclusions of wrong doing. Look at Louis Freeh’s track record with Wen Ho Lee, Richard Jewel, Waco, Ruby Ridge, the fumbling of intel that could have prevented 9/11, FIFA, BP etc etc…

Look at how the original investigator called Paterno’s firing ‘disturbing’ since he was a cooperating witness and one of the few (including trained professionals) who reported what little he knew.

Look at the current revised NCAA policy on reporting abuse and how it matches Paternos actions exactly.

Look at how the PSU Board of Trustees had personal grudges with Paterno because he pushed them to be an academics-first university long before the Sandusky issue.

Look at how Paterno opposed Sandusky bringing kids around campus long before he know of any suspicions.

Look at how many of the crimes occurred on campus vs off campus (almost all were off, and many in the next county)

Think about the County Youth Services and Welfare Dept that repeatedly approved Sandusky for adoptions, even after early allegations. If they didn’t know he was a pedophile, how was Paterno to know?

Think about how Sandusky no longer worked for Paterno during his spree, and his office was no where near Paterno’s. The original allegation that Paterno reported occurred after hours, and Paterno was never an eyewitness to anything, yet reported anyway.

Think about your grandfather being slandered nationwide after living an incredibly honorable and ethical life. (Which likely made people want to tear him down.)

And don’t tell me to think about the victims, this article is about Paterno, and last time I looked, Sandusky was in jail and the victims got their justice. Paterno hasn’t.

1 Like

Paterno and Sandusky were not good friends. Paterno pushed Sandusky out in '99 before the crimes.

1 Like

There is ZERO evidence that Paterno told them not to report it.

Tim Curley made the decision to confront Sandusky and make him get help or they would report him. That was not Paterno’s decision as the facts show.

1 Like

LoL I had heard some people went all “truthers” on this not-an-issue. But who cares, someone tells you about a crime, esp a crime involving children, you don’t go to management, you go to authorities. The rest is just details. Like how some people find an absence of charges based on the likelihood of conviction an “exoneration”.

He was told, he didn’t act in a manner that would have reduced harm. Fuck him and his legacy.

6 Likes

Trollin’, trollin’, trollin’,
Though the screen is scrollin’
Watch Xeni controllin’
Boing Boing!
Don’t try to understand ‘em
Just flag, shun, and ban ‘em
Soon we’ll be givin’ high fives
My heart’s calculatin’
Mark Frauenfelder’s waitin’
To kick 'em back to Penn State’s website
Move 'em on
Kick 'em out
Boot 'em off
Boing Boiiiinnnng!

7 Likes

5 Likes

I will always remember @mknorman as the person who let me earn my “First Flagged” badge.

6 Likes

Amber Alert Lager

3 Likes

The basic difference between libel and slander is that libel is published defamation, while slander is fleeting, mostly verbal. In the court of law, both are considered defamation—that is, the communication of a false statement that harms the reputation of an individual, business, or group. Some countries also have defamation laws that protect religions; these are usually known as blasphemy laws.

I guess that makes this libel.

1 Like

I went to Pen State, so I can tell you that blasphemy would be the correct term.

All we really know is that JoePa was in some way at some point made aware and didn’t care to follow up or asked what happened.

He enabled only through indifference as far as we know and it seems unlikely we will ever know more.

His treatment to that point is somewhat cruel. He did also make a whole bunch of comments about rape over the years to the effect of “boys will be boys” and that rape isn’t a thing. So really not a great guy to name a beer after even if he had some great seasons as coach.

So, I am sure you have seen people get called an apologist for this or that. That is what you are. You are being a apologist for a guy who helped a pedophile get away with raping children for decades. You need to think about that.

Weren’t they? It’s hard to speculate on what people’s true feelings are, but I wonder if a lot of people who drink this stuff (and invent the marketing for it) think that its okay to get someone drunk in order to get sex from them. The belief continues to persist in society, it has to come from somewhere.

Good gravy. First of all - if you find out that somebody is RAPING MINORS, you don’t just report it to your employers and assume they’ll “do the right thing”. And even if you’re that guy, the guy who reports a rapist to his boss instead of the police… When nothing comes of it, your next step is report it to the police. But really, that should be step 1. Period.

3 Likes

Were do you get your information? He did follow up with McQueary. Why didn’t McQueary do anything and why, when he spoke to his father and Dr. Jon Dranov (mandated reporter), did they say it didn’t rise to the level of reporting. Why doesn’t the Second Mile go through media scrutiny and why did PS make it part of the victim settlement agreements that the Second Mile could not be sued? Why did McQueary play golf and interact with Sandusky after 2001. Some people do think of Paterno in glorified terms – that’s their choice, not his. Personally, although this article is about Paterno, my interest lies in the way the PS Board of Trustees handled the situation and essentially “fired” people first and still have asked no questions or done anything to defend the University itself. There have to be reasons for that, and they must be pretty big since they keep fighting efforts to review the Freeh documents. Most importantly, why did the PS Board immediately dump this on football and not try to educate people about acquaintance victimizers?

1 Like

Just for the record, the 14-year-old in the shower was not raped (said so himself) and Sandusky was not convicted of rape in that situation.

1 Like

Details, all of which = passed the buck. Still a complete lowlife. Fuck that guy and his legacy.

1 Like

1 - Citation, please? I’d be interested to read up on that
2 - Showering with a 14 year old, rape or not, is not appropriate adult behaviour. This was reported to Paterno, who failed to report it to police. Rape or not, discovering that a coach (who doesn’t even work there anymore) is showering with a 14 year old in your facility is not something that you simply refer to the administration, assuming that they’ll sort it all out. And I’m presuming Paterno didn’t interview the 14 year old in question to determine that he wasn’t raped, before failing to report the incident to the police. Also note: rape victims quite commonly refuse to admit that they were raped, particularly in high profile cases like this one where there is a high likelihood of the victim facing recriminations from supporters of the rapist. And even more particularly in cases where it’s male on male rape, since there’s quite a stigma involved there (especially when you’re talking about high level football players, who already have that stupid manly man nonsense drummed into them from childhood).

I mean, I know you just joined in order to trolley this thread and defend this scumbag, but come on, you’re going to have to do better than “well technically, Sandusky was never convicted of raping that specific underage boy that he showered with, so we should give Paterno a break”.

4 Likes

I don’t believe any of the Sandusky accusers at trial were football players. Jay Paterno was on the PSU football team, but the referenced Reuters story says that Jay stated he was solicited by a Penn State professor, perhaps Geoscience professor Antonio Lasaga. Sandusky was not a Penn State professor.