For fans of beer honoring a sex-abuse enabler, this one's for you

Not Penn State players. Weren’t they youth brought in by the program as promotion of the sport/program? So players in youth leagues of some sort, but not for PSU.

No, I’m suggesting that it’s possible we don’t know everything. Jesus. He was never tried, or arrested. The Freeh investigation implies that he “may have persuaded university officials not to report Sandusky.” “May have” are what’s known as weasel-words. Used in journalism to imply guilt when none can be proven. Personally, I think back to a little movie called “How to Get Ahead in Advertising.”

Businessman on Train: [reading a newspaper] I see the police have made another lightning raid. Paddington drug orgy.
Priest on Train: [Irish accent] I suppose young girls was involved?
Businessman on Train: One discovered naked in a kitchen. Breasts smeared with peanut butter. “The police took away a bag containing 15 grams of cannibis resin. It may also have contained a quantity of heroin.”
Denis Dimbleby Bagley: Or a pork pie.
Businessman on Train: I beg your pardon?
Denis Dimbleby Bagley: I said the bag may also have contained a pork pie.

Since I’m having to defend my suggestion of looking at a movie that takes a more thoughtful look at the whole affair, I found myself looking for any other source I can, so that I don’t come off as a knee-jerk apologist for the guy who didn’t catch a sexual predator operating under his very nose. You know, like Sandusky’s wife (who lived in the home where much of the actual sexual-predator shit happened). First off, I never heard of the guy before the news reports came out. I live on the West Coast, and I generally loathe football. I assumed at the time that Paterno was covering up for his buddy. Then I saw a documentary, directed by a guy who’s work I respect, and it made me wonder.

I was simply suggesting that we perhaps shouldn’t condemn someone who never had his day in court, especially based on three e-mails (that’s the sum of the documentary evidence, by the way). Do I think Joe should have done more? Yes. So did he. Sandusky’s an evil bastard who should and is rotting in jail, surrounded by people who think his crime is worse than murder. Paterno was a blinkered fool who didn’t want to believe that someone he’d worked with for decades was a child molester - like a lot of child molesters’ friends/coworkers/neighbors.

But perhaps I should have just shut up, respected what the authorities told me, and accepted the official story.

The post said “RAPING MINORS” in connection with this article about Paterno, which would be Victim 2. I’m not defending Sandusky AT ALL and completely agree that showering with a 14-year-old boy is TOTALLY inappropriate. I’m just stating a fact. The Grand Jury Presentment in Sandusky said McQueary witnessed rape; even McQueary said that was incorrect, as did the boy (and, yes, I understand your point). Victim 2 did not testify in court, and we many never know his full story. The Presentment, however, was leaked to the media and that’s what they ran with and that’s what many people believe still. The prosecutor in Sandusky said himself that Paterno did exactly what he was supposed to do and now, ironically, the NCAA’s own rules dictate the same procedure. There are reasons for doing it this way, as any HR person can tell you, when it’s a second / third party situation. I understand where you’re coming from; but I’m simply trying to stick with the facts as they stand at present. Even the current Penn State president essentially said the Freeh Report is worthless; it doesn’t even back up his press conference accusations, but that press conference was all people heard. I’m not looking for a fight, there are just a lot of people who want the facts. And, for the record, I’m not focused on Paterno, but more on the Penn State Board of Trustees and what they’re trying to hide by not allowing Freeh Report background documents to be released, and why they didn’t make this about child acquaintance victimizers so people could be educated. These guys are hiding in plain sight and people need to understand how they operate. There are also judicial misconduct issues, media integrity issues, massive corruption issues in PA, child protection issues, the list goes on. Maybe something good will come out of all this, especially for victims.

This is the verdict list from Victim 2:

Count 7 - not guilty

Involuntary Deviate Sexual Intercourse (Felony 1)

Count 8 - guilty

Indecent Assault (Misdemeanor 2)

Count 9 - guilty

Unlawful Contact with Minors (Felony 1)

Count 10 - guilty

Corruption of Minors (Misdemeanor 1)

Count 11 - guilty

Endangering Welfare of Children (Misdemeanor 1)

So much for facts. If you ever end up in the justice system (which Paterno never was), I hope you get a full and fair hearing.

1 Like

Fact, Paterno was told about it & didn’t contact authorities or act in a manner to reduce harm.

Your details, deflections back to Sandusky when Paterno’s action/inaction are the topic, your reliance on the justice system as the only arbiter of social censure and otherwise are immaterial.

Paterno was teh King of the Hill, was told, and didn’t act sufficiently. That’s it. You can defend him from accusations that aren’t being made until you die, it won’t matter.

It absolutely possible in our society to take one action or inaction and have the result demean and tarnish your person as a whole. And it is just. Your pedant on the matter won’t change it either. Whatever else he did, he will be remembered lastly for this one failing, such is the nature of that failing.

Uh, Sandusky was still around and he never said, “What the fuck, why is the little boy raper here and not in jail?”

He told someone else to deal with it and they didn’t deal with it and he didn’t follow up and make sure something happened.

There is no evidence that he covered it up or told anybody to. There is just evidence than he knew about it and knew nothing of anybody doing anything about it.

That is shitty.