For Good Friday, here are 39 lashes

Originally published at: For Good Friday, here are 39 lashes | Boing Boing

4 Likes
5 Likes

As a kid watching JCSS, I used to hold my breath for the whole 39 lashes. I have no idea why; it was just felt like something you would do.

3 Likes

Can I lighten the mood with my annual Good Friday meet me in hell meme?

I really do believe Jesus would find this amusing.

13 Likes

Well if thats the game we’re playing…

3a6399ea043674fd3689bed8ddd6c84d

16 Likes

Fairy Tails can turn ugly, very suddenly.

3 Likes

Footage from Passion of the Christ, I think…so, it’s bloody…

In case you need some Jesus content that’s less bloody…

This is never not funny.

11 Likes

I think He might be a little weirded out that we named the day he was brutally tortured and nailed to a piece of wood “Good Friday.” If anything that sounds like a really shitty way to kick off the weekend.

7 Likes

jesus GIF

16 Likes

I never understood the sadness around the day, without the crucifixion we don’t get saved. Same thing with Judas, without him the crucifixion doesn’t happen yet he’s the bad guy.

Now Barabbas (Anthony Quinn) there’s an epic Hollywood movie. I like the ending where Apostle Peter tells Barabbas, after he sets fire to things, that Christians don’t do stuff like that. Then everyone in the scene stops and says huh?

Okay that’s my ending but even Barabbas gets a bum wrap even though he was part of the whole destiny of Jesus and was a necessary player.

Funny religion I grew up in.

2 Likes

If you don’t pretend to be sad on Friday it’s harder to be pretend-surprise-happy on Easter Sunday.

4 Likes

I was raised Catholic and I’m still not clear on why someone had to get tortured to death to open up the gates of heaven. If God wanted to let people in then who was stopping Him?

9 Likes

39 Lashes?

8 Likes

Your missing a few, I count around 34.

3 Likes

Clearly a sign from gawd that Winter is going to be cold.

3 Likes

He literally asked for it. So emo.

Sesame Street Idk GIF

Elmo. Whatever.

7 Likes

The Cows turn in a pretty decent version on the WFMU Alternative JCS (which I don’t doubt I learned of via BoingBoing, at some point).

according to reputable sites like youwantlashesillgiveyoulashes.com

The average person has around 90-150 lashes on their upper lid and about 70-80 lashes on their lower

39 is only like half a lid

4 Likes

Maybe he’s born with it, maybe it’s Magdalene?

6 Likes

some models have longer lashes and some models do not

1 Like