Ford Ranger murdered by boulder

Yeah, I caught that too, and was hoping it would add to the action in some explosive manner!

1 Like

nah, they said the truck’s weight capacity was about 500 pounds “not 500 tons”

500 tons might be a bit high for that boulder though.

1 Like

Oh yeah. Probably around 100 stone.

Looks like just one stone to me.

15 Likes

“And nothing of value was lost.”

3 Likes

Give that guy a medal. I mean, he got it dead center without touching the truck.

8 Likes

Surely someone said, “Hold my beer,” before they began this thing.

5 Likes

I have seen 2 or 3 other videos about this exact topic.

2 Likes

Well, I’m kinda partial to the boulder.

5 Likes

Good news! The boulder was not harmed in the making of this video.

3 Likes

I too was amazed.

Terrible plan, but executed incredibly well by the operator.

2 Likes

The bucket and the boulder were too wide to load from the back - it would have still needed to drop into the too-narrow truck bed. Also, I think the truck owner was not staying in his lane. I’m sure the truck owner instructed the loader to NOT load from the back because he thought the rock would roll forward and break his back window.

If you kept yelling ‘F-BOMB’ and backseat driving me while I’m finessing a boulder, you would have gone home with even more damage.

Without straps, a front end loader can’t lower anything into anything. You have to use straps around the load so you can lift the load by the straps. That will let you lower your load into a container/truck.

4 Likes

(basically, what anotherone said above)

I happened to have filmed an area-record setting giant pumpkin being loaded onto a pallet in a pickup truck just like this. You may successfully argue there’s no comparison between a 1500 lb squash and the likely weight of this boulder, but worth considering their method: Bulldozer bucket with TEETH. Straps hang down from the teeth. The large heavy item is lifted so as to be suspended below the bucket but can still clear the side of the pickup truck. If it’s swinging when it leaves the ground, stabilize or wait. Lift over the truck clearance. Very carefully, lower the item a little bit at a time until it is settled on the pallet.

With this method, truck doesn’t go boom.

5 Likes

It is a permanent exhibition.

2 Likes

Coming up next: video of trying to load the Ford (with the boulder on it) on a flatbed or something.

I’m starting to suspect this is The Royal Republican Society for Putting Things On Top Of Other Things at their weekly meeting.

3 Likes

:joy:  

1 Like

So how much does that rock weigh? I’m going to approximate it’s size using a block 75cm wide, 75cm high, and 120cm long. Sandstone weighs around 2.5 grams per cubic centimeter. So that rock is in the ballpark of 1.5 tons. The Ranger is a half ton truck. They exceeded the recommended payload by a factor of 3.

(I love estimating stuff like this.)

2 Likes

That rock looked like granite or some other similarly dense stone. It would be considerably heavier than sandstone.

1 Like

Those assholes. Do you know how hard it is to find a Ranger?

1 Like