Former Attorney General: FBI Director "made a serious mistake"

A Wiener move.

19 Likes

The FBI has a long & storied history of meddling in matters it has no business in. This is really no surprise, to me at least.

9 Likes

Can’t agree with you more on that point and with all of our respective governments.

2 Likes

I truely hope Mr Wiener spends time in jail.

1 Like

Christ. How can Obama hope to destroy America if he can’t even rope in his FBI director. Can this guy do anything right?

15 Likes

The Republicans are doing a bang up job on that “destroy America” thing currently.

11 Likes

Doesn’t the term “mistake” mean it didn’t have the intended outcome? Because it seems that it is totally having the intended outcome.

11 Likes

The timing is a bit nuts though. Maybe we can hold Comey accountable?

3 Likes

1924-1972: insane gay man’s private army

I know that wasn’t the intent, but it still reads weird to me that you have “gay man” in the middle of a list of things that were negative, especially since that was and is a ding on his record in many people’s eyes.

6 Likes

OK.
I get it.

3 Likes

Maybe he was afraid ‘closeted’ would bust the 141 character limit?

8 Likes

Is Twitter shorthand for

which doesn’t fit so well in a Tweet.

20 Likes

Looks like there will be an opening at the FBI after the election.

5 Likes

Comey’s latest shenanigans outweigh the slightly heroic story about his resisting Bush administration overreach several years back.

"On the night of March 10, 2004, as Attorney General John D. Ashcroft lay ill in an intensive-care unit, his deputy, James B. Comey, received an urgent call.

"White House Counsel Alberto R. Gonzales and President Bush’s chief of staff, Andrew H. Card Jr., were on their way to the hospital to persuade Ashcroft to reauthorize Bush’s domestic surveillance program, which the Justice Department had just determined was illegal.

“In vivid testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee yesterday, Comey said he alerted FBI Director Robert S. Mueller III and raced, sirens blaring, to join Ashcroft in his hospital room, arriving minutes before Gonzales and Card. Ashcroft, summoning the strength to lift his head and speak, refused to sign the papers they had brought. Gonzales and Card, who had never acknowledged Comey’s presence in the room, turned and left.”

3 Likes

Yeah, lets look into his emails, worked on Clinton, no telling what will find.

4 Likes

It’s appalling and blatant. I can see the incentive for a leader of a law enforcement agency to want a fascist strongman in power (= more power for secret police). But there is no way that is good for anyone.

Nevermind the political fallout, Clinton should show him the door within hours of taking office. If he is going to blatantly torpedo her with stuff like this right in the spotlight, you can safely assume he will continue to undermine the presidency and the democracy into the future. Let him move on to whatever massively paid lobbying job there will be for him.

8 Likes

I hope that Comey failed to get paid up front.

Here’s what’ll happen… he’ll need to spend more time with his family.
Nobody will need to fire him.

5 Likes

I think Tuesday of Wednesday, but maybe today.

1 Like

Looking at this man’s overall career, it is troubling,

He seems to have some decent, moderate attitudes about some things, says very poorly thought-out things at times, but overall seems to lack any partisan zeal. Someone who served Bush and Obama, and who was suggested by people in Obama’s administration as a Supreme Court nominee?

Looking at his career I see no rational way of thinking he is doing this to support Trump. I see a few possibilities:

• Grandstanding: He’s thinking of a run, wanted to become a household name. “He was told to remain silent, but had the integrity to speak out”, I can hear that political ad easily.

• Grudges: Not everyone who hates the Clintons are Republicans, not by a long shot. They aren’t caring nurturers politically, and have offended many. They are perceived by some on both sides to be a criminal organization. Someone who takes pride in bucking partisan politics, feels wronged by them, and who feels Clinton is corrupt might want to make a statement out of spite.

• Something Terrible: The idea these emails haven’t been seen and read seems insipid to me. They had no legal right to read them, but … this is the FBI. If it was something like Outlook, someone at least saw the headers and address lines. There is a possibility, however remote, that there is something Really Bad for Clinton in there. If so, he wouldn’t want it coming out after the election covering his own ass.

It’s fun to simplify this as just him being a Trump supporter, but that just does not seem credible to me.

9 Likes

You forgot cowardice: the FBI has been hounded by the Republicans in the House for not delivering the result they wanted. “By golly, it was his job to give us ammo to convict Hillary!” they cried, and so now he feels pressured. He was scared they would start baying for his head again, so he did the worst he could do in the hopes they would leave him alone.

It’s the theory that Josh Marshall at TPM prefers. I think it’s a mixture of Grudge and Cowardice. He’s scared of the Tea Party ruining his reputation, and has no qualms about hurting Hillary. He didn’t bother to think beyond that.

15 Likes