Former Attorney General: FBI Director "made a serious mistake"

I just don’t see him as someone who would do it thoughtlessly. Over the month these have been discussed behind the scenes, he’s had time to see which way the wind was blowing. If he is scared of Republican reaction later, that lends I think to the third option, that they will see something in them they felt would have affected the election.

1 Like

Here’s the blog post I was referring to. The most pertinent part is quoted below.

What seems inescapable is that Comey has made avoiding criticism from Republicans (and leaks by FBI agents that would generate such criticism) his top, almost his sole priority. That being the case, his intent seems all but irrelevant. It amounts to some professional equivalent of reckless disregard, perhaps with a smattering of largely irrelevant naïveté thrown in.

4 Likes

That seems a possible definition of political idealism in an administration that is deeply divided on an ethical point. It does look like he pushed the panic button, but after a month of “wait and see”, I think.

Maybe he was waiting to see if it would truly affect the outcome of the election. Once he saw it was highly unlikely that anything could save Trump, he pushed the big “cover my ass” button.

Actually, Rob,
1992-2001: Unarmed nonviolent enviro-hippies are the real terrorists. Plus the WTC bombers who are not environmentalists.
2001-2015: Okay, okay. The terrorists are the real terrorists. But let’s watch errybody, just in case.

5 Likes

I also forgot Mulder

9 Likes

which leads us to Roy Cohn, recommended by J. Edgar to become Joe McCarthy’s chief counsel through the red scare, who’d carry out the Lavender Scare witch hunt of homosexuals while also being one, and who would go on to be the political & life mentor of Donald Trump. This is where Trump learned to attack your opponents’ strongest points, create a perception of weakness in your opponent around your own weaknesses, not worry about the whole truth, file lawsuits to make other lawsuits go away, and rise to power by fabricating a group of enemies.

3 Likes

Except, seeing as how director of the FBI is not an elected position, his “damnation” at the hands of the press is a pretty spurious argument.

I was mainly referring to the likes of Clinton/Trump BTW.

Bad press is bad press no one in any position of accountability wouldn’t want it, finds it’s way back when you would least want it to.

So what position did he line up after all this?

1 Like

It could only be his boss’s job I suppose.

I’m starting to see three mouths when I look in the mirror.

It will be interesting to see what Comey ends up doing once his career with the government comes to an end. I imagine something extremely high-paying.

2 Likes

Yeah, like sucking Trump’s shriveled orange excuse for a genital.

1 Like

@beschizza, don’t get any ideas!!! :smile:

3 Likes

5 Likes

Comey should really be much nicer to the woman who’s going to fire him in a few months.

5 Likes

What’s hilarious is, the director of the FBI is appointed by the president then confirmed by the Senate.

Obama could fire Comey, and then just not appoint a new director until congress stops ignoring his SCOTUS appointment.

It’d all be incredibly petty, but it’s not like Obama can send the petulant Republican children of the house to bed with no supper. That’s really what they need.

7 Likes

Incidentally….

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.