Former computer technician now raises 60,000 snails to make snail slime soap

Originally published at: Former computer technician now raises 60,000 snails to make snail slime soap | Boing Boing

6 Likes

18 Likes

Gary approved!

8 Likes

I went on a Korean skin care kick a few years ago, and always avoided anything involving snail mucus. I like snails and figured those products are not humanely produced, unlike this snail-tickling fella’s stuff.

I’m also not denying the “Eewww!” factor.

5 Likes

i was coming here to make the same type of pun but you beat me too it.

7 Likes

I read that headline as “soup”. Thanks for not that.

8 Likes

Much to my chagrin, I accidentally stepped on a slug one time getting out of a hot tub at night. The slug exuded an extremely impressive amount of slime and slipped away.

I still think about that slug, decades later. and hope it wasn’t too harmed by my clumsiness.

4 Likes

See how long this guy lasts while being harmlessly tickled.

5 Likes

Since Post-It notes have already been done, I guess.

3 Likes

Waiting for my soap:

youtube animation GIF by Channel Frederator

8 Likes

13 Likes

Real Chinese ad copy:

A cosmetics brand advocating exquisite life aesthetics. Over the past three years, we have continuously excavated the most natural health ingredients to protect the skin care and beauty of tens of thousands of Chinese women, created the life aesthetics and happiness of feminine delicacy, and enabled every woman to gain confidence and beauty from beauty. ------- GROTESQUE SNAIL MASK

5 Likes

Korean beauty products

It’s true!

And there’s more!

Perhaps my favorite one I have seen in stores:

Yes. It says Snake Venom.

4 Likes

Welcome to the new economy which consists of service jobs and luxury good manufacturing to service the 1%

1 Like

“It’s all in the dexterity of how you tickle. I only touch it with my finger, you see it’s not violent, it’s AYYEEE!!”

4 Likes

No Dude, no. Yucky Poo.

5 Likes

Have you ever seen an ‘old’ looking snail?

2 Likes

My God! You’re right! I might have 2 fewer wrinkles now had I bought snail stuff! ARRRRGGGHHH!

Lotsa snake and syn-ake™℠©® (one brand’s range that uses synthetic snake venom; other brands also make them) facial products showed up during searches. Also charcoal, pig collagen, horse oil (which I very much hope is a sort of mistranslation of horse chestnut!), baking soda (that stuff will turn you into the Sahara desert unless you produce sebum like snails do mucus), pearl, gold… Oh, and certain gemstone powders were also quite popular at the time. Pearl skin care items have been around for centuries, but there were many diamond, tourmaline, and other ones.

And then there’s
Absolutely Fabulous (series 4) - Wikipedia - Ep 1

No this is a weird hobby.

Who wants to ask the DIY or Buy influencers to try this one?

15 Likes