Former general Mike Flynn calls for military to keep Trump in power

Freedom of speech and treason, all in the same sentence. Who would have thought?

1 Like

Maybe this isn’t the place, but I’m curious what my fellow Americans think of the psychology of their countrymen.
If trump did as Flynn suggests and used martial law to force a second presidential election (ignoring the impossibility of it and presuming that there is no new voter suppression), what would the outcome of the election be.

Martial Law Election Result
  • Biden would win by even more
  • Trump would do better this time

0 voters

7 Likes

Yup, just a hum drum LTG flag.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what I find so terrifying about his bullshit. This is the person whose job it was to ultimately prioritize and present a realistic threat assessment to the President of the United States. It’s hard to think of a job with more day to day responsibility in that context. It’s like finding out Chuck Woolery had been the head of thoracic surgery Cedars-Sinai for a few years in the 90s. Or that a reality television star and failed steak salesman was Commander in Chief for the last four years.

14 Likes

Since this would be the entire reason for doing this, and arresting “leftists” would be a part of the plan, I think this is a pretty out there presumption.

12 Likes

Using martial law to force a second Presidential election would be a form of voter suppression in and of itself. Literally sending folks with guns into cities across America to say “We didn’t like the way you voted last time. Try again.”

17 Likes

Except he got a presidential pardon, so his past crimes are wiped clean.

I take it as a given that this is a counterfactual poll for 2 reasons. The first is the military would tell him to fuck off, and second if someone uses martial law to overturn an election, then there will be no re-voting. What isn’t clear to me is how the average american would respond to such dictatorial tactics. The past 4 years of trump tells me that half (and likely more) of the country would rally behind him and support him more because of it

8 Likes

The military has already told him no. They released the usual “we don’t interfere in civilian stuff like elections” which can be translated to “fuck off”.

I wouldn’t say half, but maybe 1/3rd. And the majority of those would be rural, aka my neighbors. Sigh…

5 Likes

English Common law recognized two types of treason:

High Treason, which were crimes against the state, broadly defined to include acts such as sex with the queen. (This could result in things like a right bastard becoming king, which would subvert god’s will or some such). This rather broad construction of treason is one of the reasons why the american definition is so restrictive.

And petty treason, which was applied to servants who killed their employers, a wife who killed her husband, or a lowly clergyman who killed his bishop.,

Yah.
I know the U.S. definition specifically relates to aiding enemies against the United States. Not really what Flynn is doing.
Still, given the reverence with which a lot of folks seem to hold our country’s founding document: Encouraging the president to stage a military intervention against legitimate institutions of the nation, in contravention of the document, feels like it occupies a similar mind-space of antipatriotic lowness.

2 Likes

As an agent of Turkey it’s possible that he is. Clearly he is an undeclared agent of Russia.

9 Likes

Only in the swing states where Trump lost, but not Florida or Texas.

4 Likes

One of reason he was fired by Obama was, while a general in US military service, he kept calling Obama a “muslim” at conservative political forums. Flynn had been Cuckoo-For-CocoaPuffs for a long time. Then, Obama warns Trump. But, Trump’s no chump. Trump realizes: “Hey, if Obama doesn’t like him, there must be something totally cool about him. I’ll make him my National Security Advisor!”

9 Likes

This is my periodic reminder that Trumpkins represent a minority of a minority of the electorate, much less the population at large. It’s nowhere close to half.

9 Likes

Trump is exposed on Russia for money laundering in NYC. If that goes to trial, Flynn’s presidential pardon is worthless.

There is also the idea that a president can’t pardon someone for lying for him. That’s likely to be tested.

2 Likes

How the fuck does somebody like that even get promoted to the rank of general in the first place? Is reaffirming commitment to defending the Constitution not a part of the promotion process?

7 Likes

The outcome of a “second election” would be an invalidation of the USA’s legal system and instantaneous widespread civil unrest leading to war in some states where people are most likely to face off. There is no basis in law to seize power or make new decrees about elections. So the result would be revolution.

4 Likes

There should be a special crime just for “mentioning sex with the queen”. Ick.

1 Like

Trump has little support amongst the rank and file, and the command staff despises him.

This definitely won’t happen.

2 Likes