Former judge Roy Moore wins Alabama Republican runoff

We sure are!   We eat babies out of season!

1 Like

This is how I would like to see the general election play out. If everything is going to hell, we might as well be entertained. https://youtu.be/NUC2EQvdzmY

I know it’s tough to do, and I’m probably guilty of slipping up on this too, but it’s best to say their policy stinks rather than say the people are all terrible. A lot of Republicans actually do have a conscious and they aren’t all Nazi sympathizers. Their unholy alliances do have a tendency to make royal hypocrites out of party members, however.

3 Likes

I was amazed by the number of people online last night, that thought that Moore had won the senate seat.
Then there were the people who think that Moore will have a easy ride for the election.
Neither is true.

2 Likes

Registering Republican is the most conscientious choice I have in my tiny US state.

The local government is extremely corrupt (although, we have Jersey, Maryland and Pennsylvania next door so we look good by comparison) and run mostly by a Democratic Party patronage machine. I have friends who are working their way up through the machine in hopes of changing that, but they are 20 and more years younger than me, I simply don’t have time left for that tactic.

Only Democrats and Republicans are allowed to vote in primary elections here.

Because the majority of my fellow citizens are registered Democrats, my vote counts more, in its actual effect on elections, if I am a Republican. I voted against President Trump twice (and against Hillary Clinton once, too).

Because the two-party system requires Republicans to staff voting places, and it is hard to find educated competent Republicans willing to do it, being Republican allows me to help fill an important need within my community.

And since the party is ever-shrinking around here, eventually I’ll be the only one left in the state, and then they’ll be some changes!

Being on the inside of both parties (my spouse is active in the Dems) gives me a somewhat privileged viewpoint. I can tell you that there are a great many wholly reprehensible people in the Democratic Party here, but I’ve met no overt racists. In contrast, the most reprehensible people in the local Republican Party are quite openly racist. This is the biggest difference - but the biggest thing the two parties have in common is that most rank and file members are basically trying to be good people, and most of the elected leadership are profiteering, morally challenged narcissists.

2 Likes

That’s what I’ve been saying for the last few decades. I also differentiated between the monstrousness of the party itself and presumed a disconnect with its voters and their views. It took Trump’s nomination and election for me to realize that it wasn’t true - they’re just horrible fucking people on some level. The party has moved so hard right, has abandoned any pretense of principles, for complicity with it to be seen as anything other than monstrous.

Just, it turns out, according to recent polls, most of them. That’s not much of a defense for a group - “They’re not all white supremacists, only the vast majority!” Or in this case, “They’re not all autocratic, theocratic, xenophobic, transphobic, white supremacists…”

6 Likes

Likely so! (Or a consciousness)

But a conscience? Hmmmm. . .

3 Likes

Oh it’s worse than that. Sessions also has said something to make himself seem more reasonable. Not that it stuck, but its an interesting aside.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have

1 Like

And I would’ve gotten away with it too if it weren’t for those meddling homonyms.

3 Likes

I would just like to point out that Moore’s “Babies piled in dumpsters” poem appears to be written in iambic pentameter, which means that it can be sung to the tune of “The Yellow Rose of Texas” for maximal catchiness.

You’re welcome.

5 Likes

ditto.

from birmingham/tuscaloosa, live in portland now.

1 Like

Exactly the same here, B’ham to PDX.

1 Like

To be clear, the republican base picked someone even higher on the kook-shit scale than trump himself. They are going to ride that swan song right into oblivion.

2 Likes

When we sell all the collateral republican voters would have had to come up with for mortgage, student loans, and business loans to debt collectors, we will have more than enough money to start single payer.

They want the free market, don’t they? Easiest solution is just to sell them to it.

1 Like

I was more of a fan of Mr. Norrell, myself.

1 Like

yeah, well that’s what Clinton thought.

7 Likes

But they are all moral cowards who don’t have the balls to resist fanaticism and evil done in their names. The party has degenerated into the American Taliban. There is literally no difference between the Taliban and the Republinazis but the name of the holy book they claim gives them the right to abuse and terrorize anyone who disagrees with them. When some Republinazi speaks against another, it has all the moral significance of a mangy dog who’s angry because some other mangy dog got to the bitch first.

2 Likes

I’m sad it wasn’t the late Rudy Ray Moore.

4 Likes

Well, the Southern Strategy has definitely come home to roost. But I believe the worst sin was the use of gerrymandering which has both allowed the fanatics to take over and forced the moderates to become more accepting of the fanatics lest they be replaced with one.

But you can hardly have a democracy when your only choice of political party is between one so centrist the left and right can’t get behind them and one so fascist they’ll kill off an expanding list of minorities until they rule unopposed.

Either the GOP splits or we’re sort of doomed here.