Found: BBC show about a pair of metal detecting chums called "Dectectorists"

Originally published at: Found: BBC show about a pair of metal detecting chums called "Dectectorists" | Boing Boing

10 Likes

It’s one of my favourite sitcoms ever. The atmosphere out in the fields, the gentle but still slightly dark comedy, and the silly bits. It’s great!

16 Likes

I loved this show! It never overstayed it’s welcome like most shows do these days. Very charming. Johnny Flynn’s themesong for the show is also one of my favorites.

12 Likes

And it even has Simon and Garfunkel!

12 Likes

It’s a wonderful look at male relationships.

These two guys go out and bare their hearts to each other while detectoring.

There’s the competitive angle with other clubs, but even then they all share common interests.

It gets tender at some points and it’s really lovely.

Absolutely hilarious and interesting and well-written, but also sad and poignant at times.

Beautiful television.

13 Likes

A gem of a show for sure.

4 Likes

Magpies win.

There was talk about a special this year.

6 Likes

Just ask an archaeologist about dectorists-some may be registered and will call an expert if they find anything, but plenty will just pocket the goodies.

1 Like

Great show. I thoroughly enjoyed every episode.

3 Likes

Watched it all the way through at least twice. It’s a little wonder. Comfort food for sure, but there are really interesting characterizations and great (often subtle) jokes throughout.

2 Likes

Wonderful pastoral break from the usual death and darkness that’s a hallmark of the current GAoTV.

3 Likes

A 75 feature follow-up has been commissioned Feature-length Detectorists special commissioned - British Comedy Guide

3 Likes

wow, i love the trailer – i’ll have to check it out.

“You haven’t met Tony, have you?”
“No.”
“Massive knob.”
“Has he??”
“No!”

rofl.

2 Likes

Why yes, many of us have already found it…

https://bbs.boingboing.net/search?q=detectorists

7 Likes

We adore this show so much we’ve watched all three seasons twice. It’s so kind and clever. Also for rent on YouTube, last time I looked.

3 Likes

Yay! I’m so happy to hear there’s going to be more Detectorists.

Also, check out Mackenzie’s version of Wurzel Gummidge, it’s just as much of a delight.

2 Likes

I’m STILL pissed off that they didn’t use him as Rincewind for those TV Pratchett adaptations. I mean, he was RIGHT THERE! Looking like Rincewind!

5 Likes

I adored that show when I discovered and binged the whole thing. And, it got my wife and I into detectoring.

2 Likes

In addition to playing one of the leads, the show was written and directed by the very talented Mackenzie Crook. I look forward to his future endeavours.

1 Like