Fox News shocked to discover weird new mobile phones got cameras in 'em

“You can turn it off!” he said.

“Yes,” said O’Brien, “we can turn it off. We have that privilege.”

-George Orwell, 1984

10 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

I’m shocking Fox News right now!

As well as a shortcut for recording, have an app that will directly save video to the cloud, just in case the recording mysteriously vanishes from the phone while in police custody.

2 Likes

This whole time I thought my iPhone was just a $1k thing to play Angry Birds on.

7 Likes

Texas voter checking in. My wife, daughter, and I are all still registered. My last name isn’t “white” but at least it’s not Hispanic or African American. The purges have yet to get us. We’ll be out at the polls, that’s for sure.

6 Likes

Texas has a closed primary, so you choose between which party you’re going to participate with. If you choose to participate with the dems, you get marked that way, and same with republicans.

When it comes to actual voting, there’s no separation. We all go to the same polls, and our party affiliation doesn’t matter. You can choose to either straight-ticket vote, where you select all dem or all republican, or go individually. Most people choose to do the straight ticket, which is why there are so few democrats in state-wide office here (because republicans may not make up most of our population, but they do make up a sizable majority of our voting public).

So, ballot is still secret, but party affiliation has to be legally known if participated in the primaries.

3 Likes

Thanks for that info, if nothing else, you’ve given me some terms to Google, like, “closed primary” :wink:

3 Likes

Actually, just googled it. We’re actually an “open primary” state because you can change your choice every two years. The earlier parts of my statement still stand, though.

3 Likes

Something a friend from Florida once said: “You know it’s winter in Florida when there are cars driving slow in the fast lane with their left blinker on, and you can’t find a bottle of Ensure anywhere.”

3 Likes

Next they’ll be telling us you can use them to phone a lawyer.

4 Likes

Why would that be a problem? If the police officers have nothing to hide, they would have nothing to worry about, right?

3 Likes

Same here in Maryland. The effect, though, is that the primary effectively is the election, for some offices. (I’m told it’s similar in parts of Texas, but with the Republican primary.)

1 Like

Oh, I see, you are voting basically for which two candidates enter the Thunderdome together, so you can only vote in one primary and you have to chose which one every two years.

Also known as Goebbelsschnauze.

at one time they stamped your voter reg. card with the party of the primary you voted in because, at that time, only those who had voted in the primary could go on to vote in the runoff if there was one or go to the caucus if it was a primary for the presidential candidate.

2 Likes

2g0g2z

4 Likes

I expect being a cop can be scary. But if you’re really looking for dangerous jobs, there’s truck driver, farmer, garbageman, roofer, fisherman, logger, pilot, powerline worker.

Cop/LEO never makes the BLS list of most dangerous occupations. Those others always make the list. But you’re right, the other folks don’t get fancy uniforms.

3 Likes

That’s a good question. Another good question would be, at the end of the day, how many of us put on a uniform and commit murder while earning said pay cheque?

Perhaps we’ll both find some answers here:
https://boingboing.net/tag/fixthepolice
https://boingboing.net/tag/black-lives-matter

5 Likes

I keep wondering how much Fox News’ viewership numbers are inflated by public places (especially in the south) having TVs that play fox?

6 Likes