Fox News to cut ties with Bill O’Reilly

I’m sure he’s busy working on some new book.

13 Likes

You may not have noticed, but a lot of people are quite sympathetic to fascism these days (see: 2016 election). This means taking the side of the abuser, absurdly, in many situations. And I think it’s going to get a LOT worse before it (possibly) gets better.

7 Likes

Leave WWN out of this. They were brilliant satire. They were The Onion before The Onion even existed, only even better.

ETA: I should also point out that @anon75430791 is not actually a regular, and neither am I :frowning:

8 Likes

Sometimes I wish I wasn’t burdened with a conscience. The right-wing world is truly a grifter’s paradise. Come up with some scam, pitch it to the talk radio universe, watch the money flow in. Gold, guns, prepper supplies, you name it.

5 Likes

It’s not clear whether the ratings bump is because the faithful showing support or people saying “Who IS this guy?”

2 Likes

With right-wing authoritarians, it’s only a matter of time the Long Knives come out. This is going to be an entertaining snakefight.

4 Likes

Perhaps Billo allowed his neck wattle to get a bit too fulsome for even the mouth breathers who follow his show…?

Yuck!

On the other hand, it’s something that he has in common with Der Gropenfuhrer.

2 Likes

This seems to be parallel, or perhaps just a subset of the phenomenon happening to the political right generally. Megyn Kelly, too reasonable for Fox, peels off into MSM-land, and those too far to the other side for advertiser’s taste peel off into direct streaming, radio and brietbart. What’s left in the middle? If I have my analogies right, The conservative caucus? and Megyn Kelly is the republican moderates opposing Trump’s crazier shit, and Bill O’Reilly is Tea Party/Trump himself? Actually getting into power is fracturing these folks the way Blue Dog Democrats (Lieberman? who saw that shit coming? well, not me anyway…) suddenly became a (widely) known quantity after Obama came into power.

1 Like

Posting this with one comment: Bill O’Reilly is a douche.

3 Likes

He’ll absolutely land on his feet. He was the highest rated show on Fox. The only people who have soured on him are Fox management and his advertisers. His viewers are still solid (what’s a little “hot chocolate” between friends?). He’ll get some Internet gig, the same way Glenn Beck did.

Meanwhile, Derek Watters moves up one rank, just like an Evil Sulu or Chekhov:

1 Like

I sense a cable network movie coming out of all of this.

1 Like

Perhaps the viewership went up for the same reason people tend to slow down in order to view freeway accidents.

3 Likes

1 Like

5 Likes

One presumes that O’Reilly will always have a job with his buddy trump. If necessary, trump can create a cabinet post in charge of grabbing people.

1 Like

But these are really the only people who matter.

2 Likes

Au revoir, Felicia!

3 Likes

Hopefully there since it folded sometime back. Must say, tho, that I do miss reading about bat-boy while waiting in the checkout line. At least there’s still the musical.

1 Like

Or, put another way, “Bye, Falafel.”

3 Likes

I can’t help but notice the rich irony in this statement:

O’Reilly has “been subjected to a brutal campaign of character assassination that is unprecedented in post-McCarthyist America.”

I’m not even going to bother looking up the many, many times that O’Reilly has praised Senator McCarthy. I just know deep down in my heart that he has done that very thing. I feel it in my gut.

4 Likes