Fox reporter shows Kevin McCarthy how he could lose House Speaker to a Democrat (video)

Originally published at: Fox reporter shows Kevin McCarthy how he could lose House Speaker to a Democrat (video) | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Pergram should have used a whiteboard or maybe pieces of candy to help McCarthy understand the arithmetic.

11 Likes

A Katie Porter beacon perhaps?

16 Likes

House needs 218 votes (a majority) to elect a speaker

The rules actually say a majority of those present and voting as long as it a quorum. So no-shows or non voting members would hurt McCarthy.

12 Likes

The winner needs a majority of named votes. So the Republicans who don’t support McCarthy just have to vote for a third candidate to prevent a Jeffries win.

2 Likes

Which is how they ended up with Ryan the last time. They kept splitting their vote and getting nowhere. But it is true that McCarthy’s margin of error is slim. He can’t afford to see many ‘present’ votes. When roles were reversed in 2020, Pelosi ahd to strong-arm her caucus to make sure she won. And McCarthy doesn’t have her command of the troops.

6 Likes

Ugh, GOP. Can we just stop with the “we fired Nancy Pelosi” bit?

So stupid and gross.

5 Likes

it would be sooo satisfying for mccarthy to get stiff armed by his own troops. he has openly pandered for this job for years. if jeffries could land it, we might actually have to thank that moron andy biggs for something.

6 Likes

Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

It’s like being in first grade hell all over again for any fool who gets sat down in front of her. :rofl:

6 Likes

This reminds me of an episode of Veep.

selina meyer amy brookheimer GIF by Veep HBO

1 Like

Especially just weeks after their rhetoric led to a home invasion and brutal attack on her husband.

10 Likes

I doubt they will shoot themselves in the foot that bad, but I also wouldn’t be surprised.

So, like congress.

Katie-porter GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

6 Likes

At least she narrowly survived re-election.

Thank God Jesus GIF by CBC

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.