Fraudster Jim Bakker is hawking "medicinal seeds"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/20/prevented-from-selling-fake-co.html

4 Likes

Oooohhh, I know who’s making the next list of pardons!

13 Likes

So here we are 31 or so years later… How long has he been out? How long did he actually serve?

Aren’t there usually conditions to parole/early release like “Don’t continue scamming people” or “Thou shalt not run any sort of scam or pyramid scheme”, with a quick return to jail if found to have gone back to their old crimes.

Now “medicinal seeds” isn’t quite the same scale as his last con, but IMHO it still counts.

21 Likes

Is this medical marijuana?

11 Likes

Jesus Weed sells, just ask Jesus.

4 Likes

It blows me away that you can defraud people of millions of dollars through pyramid schemes, stock market manipulation, corporate grift, etc - but the guy robbing a corner grocery store to feed his family ends up in jail twice as long.

I guess this is the Motto of America: Go Big or Go Home.

21 Likes

At least they could try selling Mullein seeds (Verbascum thapsus). Makes great toilet paper, better than the paper stuff nobody seems to have in stock.

8 Likes

How do you fertilize your toilet paper crop?

5 Likes

It grows in poor soil. It’s a nuisance species in my area, but when I lived back East it was common that I would see it pretty frequently and sometimes pick the leaves to take home because they’re so soft.

6 Likes
4 Likes

Better yet - get a bidet attachment for your toilet: https://hellotushy.com/products/warm-water-bidet-tushy-spa

It may not go the distance but the road travelled will be enjoyable.

4 Likes

Awwwww, here and I was hoping to find a bunch of sly comments with lots of winky faces.

You’ve thrown the game.

2 Likes

I wish we could put together a gofundme and hawk Jim Bakker into the sun

6 Likes

Given his latest scam, the seeds, and his long track record of scamming the stupid, how come the DA isn’t at his door at airtime?

7 Likes

Maybe more “Go big and get to go home”

5 Likes

For when you want to get totally Bakked.

7 Likes

Dandelion seeds, just what I was looking for.

2 Likes

That’s 45 in black years, or 20 in white years, which we further translate into 6 wealthy, well-connected celebrity fraudster months.

8 Likes

Close:

The United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit upheld Bakker’s conviction on the fraud and conspiracy charges, voided Bakker’s 45-year sentence and $500,000 fine, and ordered a new sentencing hearing in February 1991.[52] The court ruled that Potter’s sentencing statement about Bakker, that “those of us who do have a religion are sick of being saps for money-grubbing preachers and priests”,[53] was evidence that the judge had injected his religious beliefs into Bakker’s sentence.[52]
A sentence-reduction hearing was held on November 16, 1992, and Bakker’s sentence was reduced to eight years. In August 1993, he was transferred to a minimum-security federal prison in Jesup, Georgia. Bakker was paroled in July 1994, after serving almost five years of his sentence.[54] His son, Jay, spearheaded a letter-writing campaign to the parole board advocating leniency.[55] Celebrity lawyer Alan Dershowitz acted as his parole attorney. Bakker was released from Federal Bureau of Prisons custody on December 1, 1994,[56] owing $6 million to the Internal Revenue Service.[57]

11 Likes

Like a fly on…

10 Likes