Freaky electric yellow catfish caught in the Netherlands looks like a cartoon creature

Originally published at: Freaky electric yellow catfish caught in the Netherlands looks like a cartoon creature | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Appearing on The Simpsons soon?

5 Likes

Got to be the tricky second album title.

7 Likes

Looks like a Pokemon lol

3 Likes

Mandje! Mandje! Timpe Te!
Catfish, Catfish, in the sea!
My wife, my wife Ilsebill,
Wants not, wants not, what I will

1 Like

Good for him tossing it back in but it would have been tempting not to have that hanging over the mantle.

1 Like

4 Likes

Forget about the fish. Look at that beautiful yellow penguin that’s mentioned in the text!

17 Likes

19 Likes

9 Likes

The poor thing.

1 Like

Reminds me of a cross between a catfish (the head) and a knife fish (the rest).

Black Ghost

African

Clown

6 Likes

It looks remarkably similar in colour to smoked fish, which fortunately it isn’t.

5 Likes

I also thought of a glass knife fish! first thing - well, besides the lovely, unusual color - I noticed was that elongated undulating fin.
still, a wierd fish all around!

I really dislike catfish for eating. hell, they’re not even all that fun to catch, but I would definitely throw that back - AFTER the photo proof of the catch.

4 Likes

For those unfamiliar with them, or are big fans and love to see 'em:

I love knives’ undulating lower fin!

I’m a fan of catfish, but not to eat. Too strong and weird for me.

5 Likes

Happily, you can have a fiberglass replica made (and it’s the most common way now, especially for large fish) that hangs easily over the mantle.

4 Likes

Not to be confused with a yellow electric catfish.

Meanwhile here is a glass catfish, a miniature cousin of the Wels catfish. :slight_smile:

For the record although this particular form is convergence, knifefish and catfish are very closely related, possibly sister groups. For one thing both share electric sensitivity which is uncommon in other bony fish, even if most catfish do not produce current but only detect it as a way of finding prey.

I do notice though a lot of American fishermen seem to treat catfish as just meaning Ictaluridae, which are the one family that made it to North America. You can trust the rest of the world has many other families of catfish which are actually quite different.

4 Likes

We had different catfish, including plecostomuseses, when we had an aquarium.

Often shy but still so wonderful.

Not likely to catch one of those while fishing the Detroit River.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.