Fuck Elon Musk (Part 1)

5 Likes

A very good discussion around Elon and Twitter. A lot of discussion about how it appears that Elon was basically radicalized like a teenage boy on the internet with no friends and too much time on his hands. Some speculation about how that probably means he doesn’t really run his businesses

3 Likes

I thought we’d already established that he has entire teams at each of his companies devoted to distracting him with shiny things precisely so that he doesn’t try to run his businesses, and one of the reasons Twitter is falling out of the sky like a 747 with one wing is because they didn’t have time to create one before he started fucking around and finding out.

12 Likes

Oh absolutely. I do think that it is interesting in that it extends the radicalized like a bored teenage boy on the internet metaphor. That if he had been doing anything productive or intellectually satisfying he wouldn’t be spending all of his time on the internet reading memes.

10 Likes

But the company’s suggestion that the rule was “longstanding” doesn’t line up with its history. Twitter clients have long been a part of Twitter. Twitterrific, one of the most prominent apps affected by the API shut-off last week, was created before Twitter had a native iOS app of its own, and is credited with coining the word “tweet,” as well as other features now commonly associated with Twitter’s app.

Iconfactory also claimed they had the blue bird first in a blog post where they have to end with a plea that iOS clients don’t request a refund.

5 Likes

Hope Twitter employees try some variation of this:

7 Likes
8 Likes

Another report claiming that the debt belongs to Twitter rather than the person who took the loan to buy it. At least the comments had something interesting.

I am British. Tea-making faculties are an absolute minimum here at any employment.

That means a kettle, a sink with drinking water and to wash up in, tea bags, electric sockets, mugs, sugar, milk, a fridge to keep it in, tea spoons, and storage for all this to keep it clean and dry. That’s a kitchen.

Stalls at street markets will have shared access to a kitchen for their tea. Builders will always be offered free tea wherever they work. Ditto at other jobs.

I’m serious. British army tanks are the only tanks in the world that come with built-in tea-making faculties as standard.

6 Likes

There’s really interesting point about that in the end of this podcast episode.

5 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

12 Likes

He’s so full of shit, it is hard for me to imagine that there’s room in his body for anything else.

8 Likes

Is it worth it?

Probably.

2 Likes
13 Likes
12 Likes
6 Likes

Starlink also just used an orbital altitude granted for its second generation satellites for… not second generation satellites. From Jonathan’s Space Report:

Group 5-1 (54 satellites) was launched from Cape Canaveral on Dec 28 to a new shell
at 43 degrees inclination, under the limited Gen2 Starlink licence but apparently
using the V1.5 model satellites.

But, there is a film applied.

3 Likes

Dark paint just causes the satellites to radiate energy in a different part of the EM spectrum, namely IR. Less of an impact to astronomy overall. Still not zero impact.

8 Likes

Our atmosphere is pretty opaque to a lot of infrared anyway, so I would have to imagine it would have been a lot less, though. And while simple appearance might usually be a secondary concern, when we start talking about overwhelming the dark night sky for every culture on earth I think it matters a lot too.

7 Likes

The impact to other countries is the most shameful part of this Starlink system.

I took my daughter and her boyfriend camping in a dark-sky campground in Missouri. You could see down to magnitude 6 fairly readily. The sky just seemed to be in constant motion with all the starlink constellation swarming around. A few long duration pictures we attempted of the milky way were ruined by parallel streaks of reflected light.

17 Likes

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

That’s annoying… We’re not only junked up our planet, but we’re doing the same to our LEO… :expressionless:

Which reminds me… I’m current watching the last season of Discovery and there is a scene where they show up at a planet where LEO is full of satellites… and I realized how they rarely show that Star Trek when the Federation shows up at a new place… You generally only ever see the artificial satellites when it’s part of story line… but wouldn’t almost all planets in an age of space travel be full of satellites? I mean, if the Enterprise or Discovery or Voyagers randomly showed up in our LEO, it would be full of satellites!

Sorry… just a random thought there!

11 Likes