Fuck Elon Musk (Part 1)

Obligs:

I have to believe that quote was written about people like Musk and 45…

18 Likes

Not to mention all the thousands of huge starships and space stations that ought to be orbiting Earth at any given time, any one of which would appear brighter than any star to an observer on the ground. If we can see the ISS with the naked eye then imagine what this would look like:

10 Likes

The useful altitude of satellites is a function of the diameter of the planet and most especially the orbital speed of the planet. The mass of the planet doesn’t play much role because it is presumed to be many orders of magnitude greater than any satellite.

For “geostationary” orbits (geo means earth, but anyway…) the satellites have to be at higher and higher altitudes as the rotation speed of the planet gets slower. In the space station picture posted above by @brainspore above the geoststionary satellites would be much higher than the station shown (or roughly the same, hard to tell). For Venus there are no practical “venerostationary” orbits as it rotates too slow. There are no Jovostationary orbits around Jupiter as it is too large and rotates too quickly.

For low earth orbit satellites they would be too small to be visible in the Star Trek planetary arrival scenes and their reflected light would be washed out by the reclected light from the planet itself.

As for the enormous station above, if it is at Geostationary altitudes (about 30,000km) it would be barely visible from the ground. The ISS orbits 100 times closer and is the size of a football field which is why it looks so bright.

In summary, thats why you rarely see orbital satellites in Star Trek. Thank you for attending my TED talk.

31 Likes

little known fact, the romulan military was terrified by only one other group: romulan astronomers… and thus the cloaking device was born

11 Likes

Season 3 Discovery GIF by Paramount+

Makes sense then! I’m glad that there is a basis for this and it’s not just whitewashing space debris!

Star Trek Applause GIF

16 Likes

I think it’s such a conspicuous example of privatizing space too. Because not only do we have this one billionaire taking over our night sky without considering anyone else, but others have been planning their own constellations too.

10 Likes

For half a second, I thought you meant star trek was about the privatization of space! And I was like…

Star Trek GIF

And then I realized you meant Star Link… :laughing: Totally agreed on that point! I’ve always said that there are far too many people who read cyberpunk stories as a kid and came to believe them to be how-to manuals rather than commentary of the 1980s overly corporate present (at the time) or warning about the future of a privatized space program for humanity.

14 Likes

That’s what that nonsense phrase was supposed to convey?

QAnon account The Rabbit Hole: Can we see the number of people who have bookmarked our own tweets?  Elon replies: Yes, that will be added...  Also, if your tweet is bookmarked, it will be treated as a "quiet like" and increment your likes counter.

4 Likes

“I have no idea how a browser works” seems possible as well.

4 Likes

There’s a Twitter bookmark feature. Never used it. I imagine that if a tweet was deleted, the bookmark would disappear too, and those are the ones I’d want to track.

2 Likes

There is??? I used it from 2009 until the acquisition contract and I never knew that.

3 Likes

Yep. So Musk is spending critical developer hours twerking a feature that is questionable of how many people use it. (He is now in a position get the stats on usage, but I doubt he has bothered. “Works for me.” aka “Le UX, c’est moi!”)

3 Likes

It’s one feature I’ve never understood, and I think I elide it out of notice, no matter where it is.

You’ve got a browser, and it can sync across machines if needed. Why do I want to split a “bookmark” across sites?

2 Likes

The other part of it is that likes (bookmarks were introduced years after which) could already be used like bookmarks, only they are public and there’s a limit on displaying older liked tweets. I don’t know if it’s beyond a certain date for the tweet or you get a certain number of displayable likes, but eventually no more will load.

I did make use of the Twitter bookmarks. The case for them is niche on desktop. Maybe people who only use the mobile clients (and the now-forbidden unofficial clients) get more out of them?

2 Likes

Take a look at what happened on Mr. Pro Free Speech & Anti Censorship’s social media site

5 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

Must told the jury that the proposed $420 per share price to take Tesla private was, “not a joke,” and said any connections between it and references to marijuana tropes were purely a coincidence

I’m pretty sure he told the SEC the exact opposite. That he added 20% to Tesla’s price, rounded up to 420, and said he thought Grimes would think it was funny, while admitting that might not be, “the best reason.”

10 Likes

i realized the other day that similar to boring and hyperloop, self-driving was likely musk’s way of keeping policy ( and investment ) focused on cars.

it’s probably part of why the saudi royal family is so willing to back him. cars means gas for the foreseeable future, even if the wealthier nations (partly) shift to electric (eventually)

never mattered that it wasn’t going to work. delay shifting away from cars means profit

6 Likes