Fuck Elon Musk (Part 1)

12 Likes

So many articles and videos that are now basically useless too.

7 Likes

Remember how Twitter just shut down Revue in January, their newsletter feature that allowed writers to be paid? Elon doesn’t.

@trogmignon: It's like they took the whole "spam in replies" experience and decided to monetise it.

5 Likes

You really don’t need an API to automate a lot of stuff. It’s just more work for the code to fake a browser. I mean, I doubt the botnets are using the API – too much of a giveaway.

Watch Elon go berserk when he finds out.

4 Likes
7 Likes

they were charged $103.96 for the repair,

How the heck would that not be under warranty for a week old car?

9 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes

https://nitter.net/erinkwoo/status/1621240227934380032

5 Likes

Easy, just get some paper towels, a pen and some tape. Oh wait, they got rid of all that stuff!

1 Like

The exact pricing of API access is not yet clear, and representatives for Twitter did not respond to requests for clarification. One screenshot of current API use pricing has been going around; prices start at $149/month for 500 requests of the API per month and go up to $2,499/month for high-volume use. On Thursday evening, Twitter owner Elon Musk posted a tweet suggesting that access to the API would cost $100/month and require ID verification.

The main reason that I continued to use Twitter was that there was a video game challenge to raise money for charity which was organized through a Twitter bot. Moving away from Twitter had long been thought about, but “I’m one person and this is not my day job.”

ETA:

The two other popular ones after Movetodon were Debirdify and Fedifinder. They seem to be working right now, but I’m assuming not for long. Almost certainly not after Musk institutes his fees for API access. So, even if you don’t plan on using Mastodon for now, it might make sense to set up an account before these tools disappear.

5 Likes

Eesh.

From the bottom of that article:

Meanwhile, Twitter is reportedlycharging businesses $1,000 per month to have a gold checkmark. Verification for affiliated accounts seemingly costs $50 per month.

3 Likes

suddenly strangely relevant

https://www.fastcompany.com/90796608/what-happens-if-twitters-top-engineers-leave-the-company

It all begs the question: What happens if Twitter’s top engineers decide to leave the company?

It’s a proposition made in the New York Times’ Hard Fork podcast, that a brain drain of Twitter’s five top engineers could prove terminal for the company. “There are people inside Twitter who say, ‘If these five engineers leave, we don’t know how to restart the servers’,” said host Casey Newton

5 Likes

FTFA:

Honestly, even if half of the engineers leave, I would think most of them would do it responsibly,

That statement’s aged well, like fine milk.

4 Likes

Seems like these popular Chinese free-to-play games might not be interested in paying for continued Twitter API access.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Musk, Tesla win securities fraud battle over that ‘funding secured’ tweet

(Additional info, links.)

2 Likes

“And the portions were so small!”

Having decided not to pay months ago, Shitter is now grasping for retro-justifications.

11 Likes

And businesses still want to use Twitter because…?

9 Likes

For $1k/mo they’d better be throwing in that API access they just removed!

2 Likes