Fuck Elon Musk (Part 2)

Good point. The did do that deceptive title thing once already with The Last Jedi. It wasn’t Luke!

And The Rise of Skywalker. (Also not Luke)

I really need to get off xitter. Sadly it still has the people I’m into…

3 Likes
1 Like

No pain, no gain.

The pain is in having to build networks again.
The gain is the certainty you will never again have your social networks at the whim of billionaires who are all, every one, profoundly evil and incompatible with the long term viability of humanity.

8 Likes

Come over to mastodon. You will not regret it.

3 Likes

Still struggling to understand how choosing not to renew an actor’s contract is grounds for a lawsuit.

2 Likes

Well…theoretically…if that decision were made for some impermissibly discriminatory reason (race, religion, national origin, sex) that would be a problem. That’s not what happened here, of course, but it is possible for not renewing a contract to be a problem. It could also depend on specific language in the contract. For example, if the contract said something like, “This contract will renew for an additional year unless…” and then has a list of circumstances that would block renewal, and if one of those things didn’t happen, then you’d have an argument for breach of contract. Again, it doesn’t look like that happened here, but theoretically, it is possible for not renewing a contract to be either illegal or breach of contract.

6 Likes

Yep, I figured all those caveats - I probably should’ve been explicit that I’m thinking about the “that’s not what happened here” case :grinning:

1 Like

ETA:

4 Likes

Pedro Pascal What GIF by Saturday Night Live

8 Likes

That reads more like a cheesy press release written by a disgruntled teenager than a complaint written by an actual lawyer. I don’t think any judge is going to be won over by hyperbole like “Carano was terminated from her role as swiftly as her character’s peaceful home planet of Alderaan had been destroyed by the Death Star…”

Whatever kind of legal counsel Musk is paying for they’re about to be ground into a fine powder by Disney.

6 Likes

Oh right, in all that excitement I forgot that they’re up against Disney lawyers.

They’re toast

4 Likes

The thing with getting a lawyer to take a case like this is that they’re typically going to take it on contingency. So if the case is weak, which this one is, there’s a high likelihood they’re not getting paid. Which means that the best lawyers and the best law firms aren’t taking this case. They might take a meeting with Carano and hear her complaint, and then they’re going to say, “You don’t have a very strong case. I’m sorry, but we can’t help you. Good luck, though!” And then show her the door. So she’s left with going to a lawyer who is either terrible, or one who’s not going to work on contingency and demands payment up front. Either way, you’re not going to get the best and the brightest of the legal profession.

3 Likes

Dramatic reenactment of plaintiff attempting frivolous lawsuit against Disney lawyers:

scar-death-scene

3 Likes

But… but star wars references makes them COOL, right?!? /s

5 Likes

Poorly fact-checked as well. It describes Bert & Ernie as “Disney-owned Muppet characters.” Those characters belong to Sesame Workshop, which is a nonprofit organization separate and distinct from the Disney-owned Muppets Studio and not financially linked to Disney in any way.

7 Likes

5 will get you 10 that was Musk’s idea.

5 Likes

Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

4 Likes

Oh I think I get it. They want Pascal fired for supporting Black Lives Matter, trans rights etc.

4 Likes