Fuck Today, Continued

This sucks…

Share the original video if you’re on social media so people can see it (I think I originally posted it in Magical History tour, soooo)…

10 Likes

WW has learned that Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler plans next week to announce a sweeping strategy to ban unsanctioned camping across the city and build three massive sanctioned camping areas, called “campuses,” each with capacity for 500 people.

Each campus would be divided into four camps with a 125-person capacity. The city intends to fill one of each of the 125-person camps in each of the three campuses, and then expand from there. The city will seek to hire an outside contractor to run the three campuses

hooray for “progressive” cities. this is going to spread if it happens.

might as well call them sanctuary zones

12 Likes

Worked at genentech for a hot minute (right about when roche was buying them). I remember the pep-talks they would give us about how we shouldn’t be concerned about the cost of the drugs that people had to pay (insurance usually didn’t foot the whole bill) because doggone it, it saves peoples lives!!! We were saving people’s lives and if the company was making money hand over fist well that was just the way it was.

I can’t remember what the operating cost was per day at the plant I worked at was but we were down for about a week because our clean water tanks were contaminated with Leptospirosis.

8 Likes

I had a friend who also worked for them during the late 80s. He took a friend and I on a tour and pointed out where the research for AIDS was taking place. I said something about how that was incredible and how it must be a huge investment to help people. To this day I remember his cynical response, “Not really. Every drug and medical research company is doing the same thing because of the potential for a giant payout.”

He left out the “saving people’s lives” not because he didn’t care but because he knew better.

10 Likes

That’s poorly done. For the reasons you already mention, but also, if you have 4 “camps” on each site, why not let them fill in organically so people might find some semblance of community? Why force one to fill to capacity before opening the next?

11 Likes

It’s less than 2 years from that event in the timeline, so…

15 Likes

absolutely

yeah, people living on the streets do often have existing community, shared camping, etc. breaking people apart up will do real harm.

not to mention the camps will likely be physically distant from existing social services and job sites.

if the camps aren’t attractive enough - in terms of community, safety, and services - that people aren’t wanting to go there voluntarily - then the mayor’s office is just making a jail for poor people that - for now - happens to have day release

but, got to make property owners happy i guess. even if it violates people’s civil rights :confused:

10 Likes
18 Likes

Tell me again why we still need to be mining coal?

9 Likes

But… but… they said that there is not enough supply of housing to go around!!! /s

9 Likes

And even if the city tried to buy those empty homes at fair market value and use them to house the homeless, which, what a fantasy, the people who live around them would never allow it because it would hurt their property values.
I’m a homeowner myself but I’ve never bought into the idea that property should be expected to continually increase in value. It’s shelter. The valuation system we have here messes up so many things.

15 Likes

lady gaga applause GIF

9 Likes

Seriously?

grabbed his pistol and fired “everything that was in the clip” at Allison’s vehicle. One of the rounds struck Allison’s 14-year-old daughter in the backseat, who suffered a collapsed lung, the report stated.

11 Likes

Oh boy.

12 Likes

breaking bad shut up GIF

18 Likes

Candace Owens has a new meat puppet.

13 Likes

i was surprised, and yet:

and apparently that number rises to more than 100,000 if you include the whole metro area

17 Likes

derry-girls-sister-michael-ffs

But sure… it’s a “supply” problem that the market will eventually correct for… :roll_eyes:

14 Likes
9 Likes

Hmmm…

:thinking:

Something is going on over at youtube…

And she recently posted this video…

The plot thickens…

8 Likes