Fuck Today, Continued

12 Likes

Anecdata here, but my friend has 3 college-aged daughters who were all somewhat interested in healthcare as a career. 2 had already started college, one in nursing. When the third was looking, my friend said, “if you want to go to med school, try to find a really affordable bachelors program because we only have so much money for your schooling,and I don’t want you to graduate from med school with crippling student debt.” That daughter found a program in Cuba that, for the same price as a bachelor’s degree at U of M, will get her the bachelor’s plus medical training. The other two daughters applied as well, and all three are starting in Cuba in December. We are driving our compassionate young people away from the profession or away from learning it here. It sucks.

That’s a weird interpretation of what “home run” plumbing means, in my experience. Not you, but the people who are telling you. We have home run plumbing where we’ve redone things, and it’s essentially like a circuit breaker for your plumbing. Everything comes in on a main line, then goes out to the fixtures like this:

I really like it. You can shut off any fixture, easy peasey. Are you sure they know what they’re talking about?

Ugh our “delegation” (Maine) has just taken a stand to try to deny federal funding to the Monterey Bay aquarium in CA bc the aquarium has put the maine lobster fishery on a red list for ignoring protections meant to protect the endangered right whales.
This is against the first amendment protections of free speech, imo. So fucked up.

18 Likes

Holy shit! I am so jealous! The plumbing in the cellar of the new place is a maze of pipes and shut-off valves, with no rhyme or reason that i can find, installed over the course of a century or so. I Want Yours!!

16 Likes

Just to be clear: I nabbed that pic from fine home building, but it’s pretty standard. I can snap some pics of ours if you want.
Our house is just over 100 years old, so we’re dealing with a total hodge-podge. Supplies are easiest, so we addressed those first.
And it makes for a fun April Fool’s prank to turn off the hot water to the shower, but don’t tell. :wink:

13 Likes

For sure. Plumber with decades of experience. It’s more likely I’ve mistranslated.

8 Likes
11 Likes

Explosive AND simulator?

Confused Good Question GIF by Choice Hotels

8 Likes

So John Cleese is on the radio this morning.
Apparently coming out of retirement to host a new TV show.

On GB fuckin’ News.

I couldn’t find the “Deeply disappointed in old comedy heroes” thread.

edit: punctuation.

12 Likes

the label in the picture says m116a1?

4 Likes

Angry Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

10 Likes

Fucking alternative bear electors.

8 Likes

We used to use the devices in the article as incoming mortar simulators in my Army days. Theres also a variant that whistles before exploding.

8 Likes

How do you not have multiple carbon monoxide detectors in a daycare with that many kids?

12 Likes

Yeah, that makes me think they also didn’t have any functional smoke detectors, since they’re typically dual purpose (smoke/co) detectors or alarms nowadays. I hope this leads to a big push for building codes inspections and enforcements.
A few years ago there was a big CO poisoning thing at a local trades school. Turns out a diesel bus had parked right outside a huge air intake and left the motor running.
The school has since been abandoned and shut down.

6 Likes
11 Likes
10 Likes
12 Likes

The online retailer’s lawyers also allegedly said that it would be “unfair and inhumane” to hold Amazon liable for the teens’ deaths.

11 Likes

Five years to suspend him? JFC.

10 Likes

Not Funny Whatever GIF by AutoTraderUK

14 Likes