Fuck Today, Continued

As for her feet, the VSPA told local NBC affiliate WSLS that they “seem to be receiving good blood flow after being reattached.”

There is this at least. Damn, what a tragedy!! I can’t even really say it was stupid, sounds like a freaky weird accident. But Holy Shit!!

9 Likes

There have been at least 122 accidental shootings by children in the U.S. this year, as of May 16, according to Everytown for Gun Safety. Fifty-three of those have been fatal. The total number of accidental shootings – 0.9 per day – is down slightly from last year, when there were 0.97 per day, according to data from Everytown.

I guess that’s good?

Sad Lady Bird GIF by A24

4 Likes
1 Like

Sad Anthony Anderson GIF

7 Likes

Okay, now see, THAT is something that we should be concerned about! That’s some actual real world evidence that AI can cause real harm to people…

4 Likes

Emphasis mine.

The system started realizing that while they did identify the threat at times the human operator would tell it not to kill that threat, but it got its points by killing that threat. So what did it do? It killed the operator. It killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective,” Hamilton said, according to the blog post.

He continued to elaborate, saying, “We trained the system–‘Hey don’t kill the operator–that’s bad. You’re gonna lose points if you do that’. So what does it start doing? It starts destroying the communication tower that the operator uses to communicate with the drone to stop it from killing the target.”

It should have been reprogrammed with a “three laws” matrix. Preserving Blue Team operators is most important and contributes points, Blue Team infrastructure is second-most and contributes points, and then destruction of Red Team operators and infrastructure next. So the mission is a combined “Blue operator alive”+“Blue infrastructure intact”+“Red infrastructure and operators ded”=total points.

I mean, this is worrisome, but it sounds like bad programming.

4 Likes

Holy shit, that is fucking terrifying. I had to read through a couple times to convince myself that this was in a simulation, not an actual occurrence. Because it certainly sounds like a thing that would happen!

Horror Omg GIF by I Know What You Did Last Summer

7 Likes

Drones have a whole hierarchy of horrors as it is.

• Extra-legal execution.
  • “Collateral damage.”

Making them automated mission-focused killer robots is just the cherry on top.

5 Likes

thank goodness they’re still alive. i lost a friend ( a long while back ) who ran into a semi parked on the side of the road. there’s no way of telling what happened. maybe they fell asleep at the wheel, or were even just momentarily distracted. at high speeds, things can quickly appear out of nowhere. :confused:

7 Likes

Tell me those programmers never watched Stealth, without telling me… :nerd_face: :woman_shrugging:t4:

5 Likes

Or The Incredibles

5 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes

Allina Health withholds some services to patients with outstanding debt: NYT

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/healthcare-information-technology/allina-health-cuts-off-patients-with-too-much-medical-debt.html

2 Likes

BBC News - Dozens injured after India train crash

3 Likes

The Ontario Public Service Employee’s Union is running a commercial that I think is a documentary short about the :us: health care system. :thinking: At least, @KathyPartdeux, that article seems to confirm it as such.

7 Likes
8 Likes

That was hard to watch. Very hard.

9 Likes
5 Likes

BBC News - India train crash: More than 230 dead after Odisha incident

2 Likes