Fuck Today, Continued

They didn’t figure out that I was fairly severely hearing impaired until I was 7. My mother evidently worked extra hard on getting me to pronounce things correctly so my speech was good enough that nobody suspected until I got into school and barely payed any attention to the teacher whatsoever. The teachers were convinced that I was “retarded” - the word they used back then. It all worked out okay in the end.

7 Likes

Honestly, until they start learning to read it is easy to miss. Don’t beat yourself up. This is why I do an eye exam at every check up, even though it’s pretty rare to catch anything. Lots of peds don’t find it worthwhile, but that’s how I was trained.

25 Likes
16 Likes

In a surprise to nobody at all, actually:

New details are emerging about the newest dozen police officers lauded by Gov. Ron DeSantis for moving to central Florida from New York City to escape what the governor described as low morale and a lack of support from Democratic politicians there.

The new hires include one previously fired as a Walmart Inc. security guard, one with only three years of experience who demanded more than double his salary and others with mysterious gaps in their resumes. One said he mistakenly checked a box on his employment application indicating he illegally used marijuana recently – then said he actually never did. Two failed to disclose on their Lakeland applications they had been disciplined over minor matters by the NYPD.

15 Likes

dont-trust-b-in-apt-yayboo

3 Likes

Whatever the story was in Waukesha, fuck yesterday.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Absolutely disgusting. In the end, money was what mattered. She knew/thought it was happening, but because it “never compromised [ERW’s] performance,” then, meh.

“I would believe every single thing Evan has said about Marilyn Manson, because we were there,” Emmy Award-winning producer Ilene Landress, who in addition to Mildred Pierce worked on The Sopranos and Girls , is quoted saying.

“He came to visit once, and I remember the vodka bottle flying out of the trailer. She would come to work in bad shape. She would come to work like the train had run her over… Pretty much every morning if I saw Evan Rachel Wood, the first question would be, ‘Where’s the medic?’ She was in a rough place.”

But, Landress added, what was going on in Wood’s personal life “never compromised her performance” on the show. “She would just fall asleep in the makeup chair, pop out of the makeup chair, and do her thing.”

14 Likes

He’s the godfather of Johnny Drop’s kid. Which seems in character for both of them, I guess.

5 Likes

You mean Johnny Drip?

hopping baby animals GIF

/kidding

10 Likes

Droop?

3 Likes

In response to:

I thought you meant Johnny Derp.

10 Likes

Look, you’re all misspelling asshole.

12 Likes

He must be cool. He has a cigarillo in his mouth. Signifying him sticking it to the taxman. At least until a decade ago.

Or he’s just broke now because he burned his money like an idiot.

4 Likes

Kevin Strickland — who a judge on Tuesday confirmed has suffered Missouri’s longest known wrongful conviction — will not receive any compensation from the state for his more than 42 years behind bars.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article253915738.html#storylink=cpy

17 Likes
9 Likes

Edit: Here’s the Times piece –

4 Likes

It’s in our charter, we don’t take political positions for advertising money.

So they had to decline to accede to government coercion.

I didn’t read the whole article but that line is a zinger which skewers right wing hypocrisy just as completely as their anti-woke fake “university” with no degrees and no discussion on topics they don’t like.

4 Likes

from the article:

If these anti-boycott laws are allowed to stand, get ready for a slew of copycat legislation. Texas passed two laws that went into effect on Sept. 1 — one prohibiting state agencies from conducting business with contractors that boycott fossil fuels and another preventing agencies from contracting with businesses that boycott firearm companies or trade associations.

i hadn’t heard about those before. i wonder what “boycott” will mean to companies, because i imagine it could make divesture from fossil fuels in pensions and the like impossible :frowning_face:

11 Likes

Maybe so, but First Amendment rights are more fundamental and intrinsic to the doings of a newspaper then to those of fossil fuel corps, so hopefully not.

10 Likes