Fuck Today, Continued

2020 won indeed. Holy fuck.
Sad Tears GIF by Regal

10 Likes

Probably by first embracing, then assimilating Mastercard while simultaneously pushing away Visa

What a brilliant stroke of foresight it was that congress protected the :us: people from such strong-arm practicesā€¦ /s

And, what luck, we in :canada: are also soundly protectedā€¦ :roll_eyes:

Competition Bureau of Canada - Abuse of dominance

This whole kerfluffle must just be a quirk of the :uk: adjusting to the post-Brexit worldā€¦

3 Likes

Makes me think of Costco and their ā€œwhich credit cards do we take this week?ā€ policy. Between a membership fee increase several years ago, combined with no longer accepting my credit card, it was an easy decision to let my membership lapse.

4 Likes

Itā€™s kind of a first world problem, but my keyboard has started to fail.

Iā€™m having to copy and paste question marks.

16 Likes

for macos* i use karabiner to work around my dead keys. ( nothing beats ā€œenterā€ not working on your laptop :crying_cat_face: ā€“ but now thatā€™s what right shift is for. )

3 Likes
7 Likes

Was catching up on Samantha Beeā€™s show and this report reminded me of the ā€œKids for cashā€ case in PA*, only more widespread:

Her report left me wondering who owns these ā€œcampsā€ and ā€œtreatment centers.ā€ Someone other than the states where theyā€™re located must be profiting from this. That makes me give even more side-eye to personalities like Dr. Phil who engage in recommendations and referrals.
:angry:
*TIL they let the judge in the case above out of jail early, too:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/kids-cash-judge-released-prison-virus-concerns-71409814

17 Likes

Huhā€¦ so ā€œHolesā€ wasnā€™t fiction after allā€¦

Ms. Bee struggles to insert humour, but there is little humour to be found hereā€¦ :thinking: ā€¦or noneā€¦

4 Likes

Fuck that.

21 Likes

Today, my little girl (2 years, ten months) went to the eye doctor and they found cataracts on both of her eyes. Sheā€™s going to need surgery and soon, which will require full body anaesthesia and a weeklong hospital stay. The doctor says itā€™s very rare in children this age and could be a sign of Type I diabetesā€¦

31 Likes

Iā€™m sorry to hear. I hope sheā€™ll be fine soon & thereā€™s no other worries.

20 Likes

Fuck.

17 Likes

On the upside, this isvery treatable. On the downside, that sucks for your daughter, and is terrifying for a parent. I am sorry for that, but glad they picked it up early.

23 Likes

Thank you. It is very reassuring to hear that from an expert. I wasnā€™t at the eye appointment today, so all I know is secondhand from my wife.

Looking through the pamphlet they gave us is scary. I know itā€™s a common procedure for adults, but now Iā€™m going to need to keep a two-year old from touching her eyes for a weekā€¦

I do have an update with some good news. The doctor pulled some strings (he was very insistent that this couldnā€™t wait a month) and got us an appointment at a very large childrenā€™s hospital on December 1st. They are going to run some more thorough tests and either do the surgery then and there or set a date.

My poor little girl has never really seen before and we didnā€™t even notice until nowā€¦

27 Likes

Courage! As for keeping her hands away from her eyes, perhaps a version of the cone of shame? A big frilly ruff, for example. Not a cone, obviously, but there are inflatable collars and such.
And Buckminster Fuller long said that not having corrective lenses until he was 4 or 5 was essential to the connections he saw in the world.

15 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry to hear this. I know this is horribly stressful for you. Sending good vibes into the ether for you and your little one.

16 Likes

Mittens might help.

5 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry to hear this. I hope her surgery goes well and there are no complications.

12 Likes

Thatā€™s rough. Iā€™m sure parental guilt is trying to eat you alive. Itā€™s hard so hard to know what is going on with a kid that young. Kids are incredibly adaptable though and the problem was caught early!

Swim goggles? Mittens or a gentle blindfold at night, as long as her docs say that is ok? Ask the docs and nurses when you get a chance, they should have some ideas.

Wishing your daughter a quick and thorough recovery.

17 Likes

Thank you!

We were really beginning to suspect that she was developmentally disabled because she canā€™t use a spoon and has trouble with ā€œWhatā€™s this?ā€ or ā€œBring me the red ball,ā€ so we didnā€™t even think to check her eyes until my sister back in the States suggested it.

Now that we know she has a problem with her eyes, thereā€™s a sense of relief that her eyes can be fixed (though she will definitely need glasses). At the same time, itā€™s really scary thinking and not knowing what could have caused thisā€¦

Sheā€™s as energetic and playful as ever, and sheā€™s seeing things through a fog and thatā€™s been normal for her up until nowā€¦

20 Likes