Fuck Today, Continued

According to wiki one other founder worked for Rupert Murdoch and was involved in that phone mail hacking - James Paul Harding.

The third founder is Matthew Winthrop Barzun - a New England old money guy and fundraiser for Obama who got an ambassadorship out of it. A descendant of John Winthrop, among others. His wife is an heiress as well.

The 3rd looks to be Katie Vanneck-Smith. I don’t see her listed as A Boris relative on his page. Formerly on the board of Dow Jones and presumably of a monied family.

5 Likes

I dug around myself a bit too, based on that same AVC comment. I couldn’t find a thing beyond BoJo having a sister who is a reporter.

4 Likes

@KathyPartdeux dug up some from the wikipedia page… seems like some wealth is involved.

Anyone see anything about the claims about transphobia?

6 Likes

I didn’t see anything but I somehow got distracted and actually spent the rest of the day working. I feel a touch guilty about the reality that I’m actively seeking excuses to not believe the women in this case. There’s more than a bit of hypocrisy in my reaction here based on my love of the man. The fact that we’ve got to weigh conservative agendas when reacting to allegations against beloved leftist icons is disgusting but not unexpected I suppose. I’m ready to quit reading him when and if a truly reliable source of information offers some weight to the story but for now I guess I’ll keep my fingers crossed that he isn’t awful.

7 Likes

“Co-founder and Publisher of Tortoise Media with James Harding and Matthew Barzun, Katie has left the corporate bosom of News Corp after more than 20 years.“

Looks like two of the founders are Rupert Murdoch creatures. Weirdly - for someone so prominent- she doesn’t have a Wikipedia page. And I don’t see like a real online bio either.

James Harding has covered trans issues for tortoise. I haven’t had time to look at his video- but in the intro he’s pleased to have Stella O’Malley help us understand these issues.

She is a member of the gender critical group [Genspect & SEGM & did a documentary on trans kids.

3 Likes

A page of their stuff.

4 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes

i wonder if we promised to name an airport after ■■■■■, if he’d end his run. we can promise it’ll be the biggest, best airport ever - you’ve never seen it. and gold. lots of gold

maybe he’s narcissistic enough to fall for it? :thinking:

( we don't have to tell him it'll be called "international tiny hands" until later )
4 Likes

Remind me, which was the airport George Washington defended during the War of Independence?

7 Likes

I don’t know anything regarding Tortoise media and transphobia, however I did read that TERFs were using the allegations against him to attack trans people :face_exhaling:

I haven’t seen any posts on Bluesky recently either

5 Likes

Ava Duvernay Black Girl Magic GIF by Identity

Literally anything in the whole world that happens, they’ll try and use it against trans people… I hate these people…

Anyway, this whole thing sucks and I hope it’s not true…

7 Likes

The Office Yes GIF

7 Likes
10 Likes
7 Likes

Criminals in Rio are using drones to kill their enemies with hand grenades.

9 Likes
6 Likes

Power failures kill people.

9 Likes

Power failures kill, and predictable, absolutely foreseen but not avoided due to free-dum power failures are utterly criminal. Not that anything will be done, since no rich folks were inconvenienced, and profits must be maintained.

7 Likes