Fuck Today, Continued

8 Likes
9 Likes

So, is there some requirement to advertise on certain platforms? I am very confused by this.

5 Likes

A billionaire didn’t get handed money. Clearly his rights were violated in some way or other.

Of course you don’t really need that good an argument to sue someone, if you are willing to pay lawyers for a case you are probably going to lose. And of course Musk is. That’s his tool for bullying people.

7 Likes

And his sensibilities were hurt.

5 Likes

So much for local control of the curriculum.

6 Likes

So, let me guess…

“A Handmaid’s Tale” is not banned because of its wholesome Christian narrative, and because it stops short of explaining exactly how to cause the story’s environmental apocalypse part.
“Oryx and Crake” is banned because it’s the narrative for an environmental apocalypse without the warm fuzzy “Gilead” stuff?

I’m confused. /s

8 Likes

15 Likes

Last week, however, as the public witnessed the rollout of Breed and Gov. Gavin Newsom’s new policies to push those experiencing homelessness out of view, many didn’t like what they saw.

Inhumane” was the word used by one small-business owner, Adam Mesnick, who has been a vocal advocate of sweeps, describing one scene captured on video by the San Francisco Standard. The clip shows a man having his tent pulled from his hands while a police officer tells him that the mayor and governor said homeless encampments are “no more.” The man, visibly in distress, seems to be trying to retrieve belongings that had been thrown like trash into the back of a Department of Public Works truck. Another story, in the San Francisco Chronicle, depicts a man placed in handcuffs while his belongings, including tent, blankets and clothing, are tossed in the back of a truck.

One woman described to me having her wallet — containing her ID, debit and EBT cards — pulled from her hand as a police officer proceeded to “taunt” her with possible arrest. Why? Because she declined to accept a bed at a crowded shelter where she would be separated from her husband. A day later, police officers arrived at the site where the couple had relocated a few blocks away and issued a citation for illegal lodging. Now, the couple have a court date to address a “crime” that is punishable by a $1,000 fine and up to a year in jail.

Even casual observers can see how counterproductive this approach is to addressing homelessness. The sweeps are traumatic by design; they deprive people of basic means to stay warm and dry in San Francisco’s foggy weather. Identification cards and those for food and medical benefits have to be replaced. In the case of the couple mentioned above, they lost the very paperwork that is required for them to access housing; that too ended up in the trash.

11 Likes

Star Trek GIF by Goldmaster

11 Likes

The Japan Meteorological Agency issued its first ever “megaquake advisory” on Thursday warning of a possible future major earthquake triggered by the underwater Nankai Trough, after a magnitude 7.1 quake shook just off the eastern coast of Kyushu island earlier in the day. The trough, which runs along Japan’s Pacific coast, was the source of past devastating earthquakes.

I have no clue how accurate this might be, but the 7.1 quake recently seems to have been the trigger that there is a much bigger one coming. More than a little concerning. Stay safe, Japan mutants!

10 Likes

Kaiju Alert!
Ganga GIF by Bercia

but seriously, tsunami city.
stay safe is right!

8 Likes

This would be a lot easier to put in some sort of perspective if ABC could have been arsed to mention which scale this “7.1” is in. Or whether it’s a a seismic magnitude scale (used to describe the overall strength or “size” of an earthquake) or a seismic intensity scale (severity of quaking at a given location).

Japan’s own JMA Seismic Intensity Scale (Shindo) goes up to 7 - which is XII on the Modified Mercalli scale.
Not to mention PEIS, the Central Weather Administration seismic intensity scale (which really needs an acronym), CSIS, EMS-98 or MSK-64.

“7.1” kinda looks plausible on the Richter scale - which nobody really uses anymore.

(Pretty sure it’s not Pignataro, Egen (no citation found) or Mallet, though.)

6 Likes

Wow, i just assumed ot was Richter scale, and first I’ve heard that it’s obsolete. When did that happen? (Obviously, not my field…)

10 Likes
4 Likes

Well, there you go. “It’s complicated.”

4 Likes

My geology prof at uni was a bit of an earthquake and volcano nerd. Whenever there had been something in the news about either the other day, he’d have a little entertaining rant, pointing out the sloppy reporting, geologically speaking. The Richter scale was ~50 years old then and comparisons with other scales came up.

Nuclear tangent: the models US scientists used to guesstimate the yields of underground tests in the USSR from seismic data were a bit off and tended to overestimate. Something about seismic waves being reflected by different layers of the crust differently that wasn’t understood well enough at the time.

As they say in the Ruhrpott, “Vor der Hacke isset dunkel.”

2 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

18 Likes