Fuck Today, Continued

6 Likes

The last time we were in Asheville, a few years ago, it rained and the street that goes between Biltmore estates and downtown ended up being flooded. Iā€™m not surprised that that area got hit during this storm.

I hope everyone is okay up thereā€¦

10 Likes

Friend has a kid at college in Mars Hill and hasnā€™t been able to reach him since Friday morning. Everything appears to be down in that smallish town.

8 Likes

Yooree Kim marched into a police station in Paris and told an officer she wanted to report a crime. Forty years ago, she said, she was kidnapped from the other side of the world, and the French government endorsed it.

She wept as she described years spent piecing it together, stymied at every turn to get an answer to a simple question: How was she, a bright, diligent schoolgirl, with known parents whom she loved, documented as an abandoned orphan in South Korea in 1984 and sent to strangers in France? She believes the government of France ā€” along with many Western nations ā€” allowed families to ā€œmail order childrenā€ through international adoption, and did nothing to protect them.

ā€œThey were reckless,ā€ she said. ā€œThey never questioned anything. They never checked where I was from. They never checked whether my parents existed or not.ā€

Kim was caught in an adoption machine that sent hundreds of thousands of Korean children to families in the United States, Europe and Australia. Now adults, many have since discovered that their adoption paperwork was untrue, and their quest for accountability now has spread far beyond South Koreaā€™s borders to the Western countries that claimed them.

Those governments turned a blind eye to rampant fraud and sometimes pressured the South Korean government to keep the kids coming, an investigation led by The Associated Press has found. Documents show that at the peak of adoptions from South Korea, Western diplomats processed papers like an assembly line, despite evidence that adoption agencies were aggressively competing for babies to send abroad, pressuring mothers and paying hospitals. Governments focused on satisfying intense demand from Western families desperate for children.

10 Likes

source

10 Likes

Just coming to post thisā€¦

Iā€™m relatively close to this.

The fact that they had to close the entire stretch of I-20 there is crazy.

[ETA]

The smoke is going north-eastish, apparently, towards the next county over, Walton:

I just looked to see if my county has any news on whatā€™s happening, but there isnā€™t anything on their website or their social mediaā€¦

10 Likes

Stay safe.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is conducting air monitoring to determine what the chemical is.

How is BioLab not able to tell the EPA what chemical this is?

10 Likes

I donā€™t know how that can beā€¦ But this business seems to have numerous situations like this in recent years.

9 Likes
11 Likes

Convoy of first responders headed to North Carolina :disappointed:

12 Likes

This just makes me sad. I know that this is why in nearly every circumstance, companies include the whole ā€œyou agree to arbitration and cannot otherwise sue usā€ - Iā€™m not sure how long it has been a thing for but almost certainly not new - but there has to be something that can be done to not let companies be without liability forever.

I donā€™t know the path towards making it so that they canā€™t get away with it forever, but I want to fight to make that reality come true.

Sorry, it just really breaks my heart to see stories like this.

7 Likes

There is at least one other lawsuit in progress where Disney is using this same argument. Any one have any idea what the status of that is?

1 Like

The end of that The Independent article Purplecat posted brings that case up and states that after the public backlash, Disney opted to drop that tactic and go for a trial by jury instead. Just to make sure before I said anything, I found an NPR article and a BBC article that made the same claim.

5 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes
6 Likes

There are fire protection systems that donā€™t use water. They use Inergen, Novec 1230, or potassium to extinguish fires. Sounds like this facility is not in compliance with the Fire Codes. Hope they stay closed until fully in compliance.

4 Likes

This is like the 4th incident at this location. they just need to be shut down entirely.

7 Likes

The local media needs to ask the Fire Marshal why that hasnā€™t happened.

4 Likes

IMG_6296

And by jerbs I mean campaign donations and bagmen.

5 Likes

What? That doesnā€™t sounds like that great a chemical to use, at least if you mean the metallic form.

1 Like