Fuck Today, Continued

Oh God.
:cold_sweat:

13 Likes

This part annoys me:

Medics who treated him said he will only qualify for reconstructive surgery if he passes a psychiatric evaluation.

The unidentified man was struggling impotence and had been inserting various objects into the opening of his penis during sex to stay erect.

So, man unable (reasons unclear) to receive treatment self-medicates and suffers life changing injury, then may not be able to receive corrective surgery?

15 Likes

American medicine, man. Gotta love it. :face_vomiting:

ETA reading the article, seems this was UK. Shouldn’t it be easier to get treatment there?

11 Likes

I believe the article used some supporting stuff from places including the NHS, but the case study’s authors are in New York and Pennsylvania, so although it’s not mentioned in the article itself, I’m guessing that the event happened in the US.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214442020302527

I’ll note that the article says around followup treatment and mental health assessments:

Reasons for insertion of a foreign body into the genitourinary tract include mental illness, borderline personality disorder, sexual gratification, or temporary release from imprisonment to seek medical attention.2 Unfortunately, many patients are repeated offenders and thus psychiatric evaluation to prevent recurrent injury should be considered. Our patient achieved a stable relationship partner, but has been homeless and thus sporadically followed up with suprapubic tube changes. He has not been referred to psychiatry as he has not had any repeat episodes since his operation, but would be referred prior to consideration of reconstruction when he achieves a stable living environment.

8 Likes

Honestly, that’s a hell of a lot of foam for “At some point the man’s partner accidently [sic] hit the button on top of the can, deploying the foam inside of his penis.”

Why have it attached to the can, if all you need is the straw for what you want? Also, the buttons aren’t easy to push, and when you release the button the foam stops pretty quickly.

Also, ouch. Ouch ouch ouch.

8 Likes

Not kink shaming, but yeah, damn, I cannot see how that was not intentional. Still, urologists have a truly disturbing collection of things retrieved from urethrae, or the remains thereof. (Where I trained, they always broke out the photos of what happens when you put a lit firecracker up there. :face_vomiting: )

9 Likes

I’ve seen some gross and awful stuff, often associated with uncontrolled diabetes (necrotic feet, Fournier’s gangrene, etc), but that? Jesus Christ, I can’t even imagine and don’t want to. Why would you mention that?!

Brain bleach, please

9 Likes

Surgeons have a twisted sense of “funny.”

12 Likes

A friend who is a plastic surgeon did the same with chainsaw-to-the-face pictures. “Look, his teeth were at the top of his skull. Now? All back to normal!”

Just, weird.

9 Likes

Keeps 'em sane according to the recovery nurse I know. Of course she has a very dark sense of humor too

11 Likes
11 Likes

Fuck today indeed.

angry the simpsons GIF

16 Likes
9 Likes
28 Likes
14 Likes

My nurse is a rough-edged WVian who can cuss the bark off a tree when the mood takes her. I frequently turn her loose on insurance prior-auth cases like this. Thus far, I have never had a problem after she gets through with them. I sometimes feel bad for the person who issued the denial, but only very briefly.

19 Likes

That is one wonderful phrase.

13 Likes

I also am a rough-edged WVian. That culture is great for odd sayings.

15 Likes
10 Likes

Not exactly fuck today, more like fuck the last 500 years.

11 Likes