Fuck Today, Continued

People want us to be prepared in advance and stabilized,” the Democratic pollster Celinda Lake told me. “Republicans are voting against both.”

I’m sick and tired of GOP pols using manufactured funding crises to score political points without regard for the health and lives of people who will suffer as a result of their actions.
Inside Out Reaction GIF by Disney Pixar

19 Likes

Demi Lovato Pizza GIF

14 Likes

19 Likes

Completely dystopian. Like we’re losing some kind of arms race, or some sort of prestige. There’s a “billionaire gap” that needs to be closed immediately.

I notice that this article didn’t have Axios’ usual “why it matters” section.

14 Likes

I’ve posted here along similar lines before, but it looks like the problem is spreading. Billionaires who give away their money or discuss what drove them to reach that level tend to say the same thing. Once they had more than they needed, the publication of lists ranking who had more became a motivation to acquire more.

ETA: found more about Chuck Feeney (the billionaire who donated his fortune, and how long that project lasted) on BB:

11 Likes

GIF by Almost Christmas Movie

9 Likes

I mean, creating new billionaires is not the best use of the money, but if someone wanted to take Elon Musk’s net worth and split it with a 300 random lottery winners I can’t say I’d complain that much.

11 Likes

If i was one of those winners I can’t promise I’d behave and not remove a few more :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Oh no! Then we’d have to take Bezos’s and Gates’s fortunes and try again! Well, America needs more billionaires, so it’s a sacrifice we’ll just have to make.

12 Likes

They’ll be making the sacrifice, but for the greater good.

*dreams of 21st Century piracy

disney sigh GIF

13 Likes

There were 191 anti-LGBT+ bills filed in the US in 2021, which was the worst year on record, but 2022 has overtaken that figure in just two-and-a-half months.

This year, 65 per cent of these bills specifically targeted trans folk.

The number of bills attacking the rights of queer folk has been accelerating rapidly since 2018, when 41 were filed across the country.

But the legislation against LGBT+ people does not seem to be a reflection of public opinion – this year, research has shown that 79 per cent of Americans support discrimination protections for LGBT+ folk and 68 per cent support same-sex marriage, while more Americans than ever before identify as LGBT+.

In reality, LGBT+ rights have become political pawns, as right-wing lawmakers try to garner support from religious conservatives.

We have a growing fascism problem here in the US that desperately needs to be addressed.

19 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

13 Likes
2 Likes

Tornado flips truck around - somehow escapes driving down the highway.

11 Likes

That was in Elgin, Tx, if anyone was curious Several tornados yesterday through out the state. We spent 45 min hanging out in the closet with the cats. One touched down a few miles away, but all we got was hail. Lots of property damage but no reported deaths.

Edited bc links not behaving

13 Likes

Damn Elgin sausages. /s

(For the non-Texans, Elgin is known for its manufacture of sausage and chorizo)

10 Likes
14 Likes
12 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/s42256-022-00465-9?fbclid=IwAR11_V1cd9SUxEvUfwrWMA7TUcroyYIY1nBDUL3KaS-8B4rG5MIqZCmjm0M

18 Likes

Fuck today indeed. Damn…

15 Likes