Fuck Today (Part 1)

Quoted for emphasis. It’ll trick you into making horrible decisions, make it out like it’s your own fault, then continue to punish you for doing things it suggested in the first place. It’s like an abusive housemate that you can’t avoid or evict.

Cannot emphasis this enough.

And even though it’ll be telling you “Don’t listen to them, WTF do they know.” there’s a few here that have been down similar roads.

12 Likes

Totally agree with you, which is why I was making a point of saying that it’s a legitimate medical condition, not something to feel guilty or ashamed about. It needs to be said out loud in public often.

13 Likes

I was frustrated with how I wrote that, because as I read it I was thinking ‘this has a countering tone that totally isn’t what I’m going for’. But my writing brain has been a bit crap this week so I just threw in the pen and clicked ‘Yes, abandon changes’.

12 Likes

I feel ya.

I’m really trying to hit “Post” more than “Cancel” as it seems to be doing me some good. Or I might just be on an upswing. Either way, leaving this post here to remind me for next time.

7 Likes

Today, got called a troll and someone who isn’t clever enough to understand corporate, consumer culture. Awesome.

21 Likes

one of my favourite pubs is owned by a Catholic Social-Democratic Turk - an unlikely happy mutant combination I love, and the audience is similar great.

today I learnt the he his gay. YAY!
today I learnt he has a crush on me. WTF?

my sexual preferences are not compatible with his, and I’m not sure if we were able to define boundaries acceptable for both sides.

16 Likes

Just politely explain that you don’t like men that way, but you’re happy to be friends if he would be OK with that.

If he throws a fit and tells you to get out, well, maybe he’s not such a great mutant after all…you know?

13 Likes

This is always interesting to me. We’re all different and have different experiences, and I don’t assume mine are universal. So the disclaimer here is that maybe I’m putting something onto you that doesn’t line up with what you’ve experienced at all. The other disclaimer is that I’m assuming you mean you’re at least mostly not attracted to men.

I’m not the most attractive man in the world and I never expected any of the come-ons I’ve ever received, but the few come-ons which were unambiguous were always from other men. If you’re straight it’s a little jarring, but if you think about it, it makes sense. Women don’t ask men they’re interested in out with any real frequency and are a lot more subtle about indicating interest. So when you’re a straight guy minding his own business, another man hitting on you always seems weird because it doesn’t even fit into your existing paradigm if you swapped the genders. At least, that’s how I’m interpreting your “WTF.” If your WTF is because he’s not taking no for an answer, I’m afraid @chgoliz is right. :unamused:

11 Likes

My congressman died today. Dammit, I liked my congressman. Mark was honest and smart and energetic and hard-working, and helped an old cynic like me retain my optimism about US politics. Fuck cancer.

25 Likes

Oh, I saw that. I was wondering if his district was on Oahu. I’m so sorry for him and for you, too.

7 Likes

I think we parted more or less on this terms and I have no hard feelings, but

we hugged. I like hugs - being a social animal the human warmth and closeness is important and nice for me (on the spectrum of sexual preferences I’m somewhere between heterosexual and asexual). but he was really fast with his hands below my shirt and near my junk and this was uncomfortable. I explained this a few times and think he received it. but still.

12 Likes

Wait…the groping happened before or after you told him you weren’t interested in him sexually?

8 Likes

So I’m going to go out on a limb and say, no, he did not “receive” it. And you should avoid him and not be alone with him and take precautions of the kind usually handed out to women… he’s demonstrated he didn’t hear you and he doesn’t respect your boundaries and if my experience is anything to go by, the next incident is going to worse and harder to extricate yourself from. Be safe and take care.

18 Likes

And double-fuck pancreatic cancer.

12 Likes

No shit, my cousin went to the doctor because his arm hurt and he was dead in six months. Jesus that shit.

12 Likes

Yeah, in my case it was my dad and my godmother. Similar situation: both went to the doctor because they didn’t feel good, then from diagnosis to a bad death in less than a year. And no good way to test for it. I had high hopes for this kid’s mesothelin test but it seems to have come to naught.

8 Likes

Two people at my company have had pancreatic cancer since I’ve been there. One has survived so far (luckily!), and seems to be doing well. The other was someone in my little workgroup, and she died within a few months of diagnosis. I’ve been paranoid about tummy aches ever since.

8 Likes

I too am down with the frown.

Just lost my sister (and last family) to a GBM & only got 60 days from onset of symptoms to her passing :tired_face: & am still going through the “go to call & realize/remember she’s not there anymore” mental realignment…

Shortly before that, the wife & I were on year five of our “first 10” plan (u kno, get home, pay down debt, start school funds, etc) when we decided to start our family. Yet we got a S4 Ductal Carcinoma instead… & that all ended in tears. That was a totes :punch: to the soul.

fsk cancer

16 Likes

I woke up this morning to a clogged kitchen drain and a sink full of vile dishwasher effluent. No biggie, stuff happens. Except the plunger didn’t help, and neither did the snake-- it’s clogged someplace in the wall, upstream from the main line. Time to call the plumber to go up on the roof and roto-root the branch line. So I called my usual plumber. He’s on vacation in Rome for the rest of the month. :anguished:

15 Likes

Oh, that sucks.

3 Likes