Fuck Today (Part 1)

I’m really sick of cancer in my family. Thanks!

17 Likes

Take care!

8 Likes

Do this!

One of the most prized possessions in my family is a series of letters my grandfather wrote to my Mother when she asked him about his childhood in post WWI east end London (Bow Road Represent!)

And I’m so sorry for your Mom and you and your step-Dad, fuck cancer in the eye.
And take care of yourself, I know you have to be strong for your Mom but you don’t need to be strong for everyone or all the time. /internet-hugs

16 Likes

It would make you a lot easier to identify.

4 Likes

Well, alright then …

Unfortunately, the icon version doesn’t show off the full outfit. (I had to recreate this with the Eleven Giants wardrobe interface, since I never saved it from the original Glitch game. (Want a ‘fuck today’ included? Hmm. How about fuck whatever kept Glitch from being able to continue its existence? I spent about an hour this past weekend flipping through screenshots and such from that game. I’m still a bit stunned as to how much I miss it.)

12 Likes

You can actually grab your avatar and even your sprite sheets from the archive site. Here’s you:

4 Likes

Oh, I did, but I never saved the version for that particular outfit.

2 Likes

I reckon you’re being too hard on yourself about ‘getting your shit together’. From what you’ve written, your stepdad’s diagnosis was very sudden, so there was no way you could have predicted this situation arising.

Also, I don’t know what a story booth is, but in my head it’s like the recording set-up in Tenacious D’s clip for ‘best song in the world’ (or whatever that’s actually called)… so in my imagination, you, your mum and stepdad are rockin’ out while telling their story! :guitar::microphone::performing_arts:

Anyway, my thoughts continue to be with you and yours. And as someone else in this thread said recently, remember to take care of yourself too.

6 Likes

I’m sorry; that sucks.

ETA:

I’m so sorry you’re going through this.

*hugz

7 Likes

Story Corps!

That would be an acceptable alternative…

12 Likes

This morning when I dropped my daughter off at daycare she ended up screaming and needing to be physically restrained from following me. A little over a month from now I’m going to be trying to get her on a school bus or into a kindergarten class and I’m not going to have that kind of physical cooperation from whoever I’m handing her off to.

I want to have a conversation with her about how she feels and why I need to her to cooperate in the morning, but I can’t even think of how that conversation would go.

Here’s the reality: in the past life was very harsh and if you didn’t work hard there just wouldn’t be enough food to eat - you’d die as a consequence of your choice not to work. These days that’s not true anymore, we could feed everyone including those who don’t do things that society agrees are “work” but the system we created to try to assign food to people based on the work they did continues to not assign food to people because of their lack of work. And you can’t just work if you want to - you can’t find a problem that needs solving and solve it, you need approval to solve the problem by people who are appointed to choose what problems need to be solved otherwise it doesn’t count. Where once upon a time you had to work because there were consequences to not working, now you have to work because otherwise you will be punished. I go to work because I live in terror. I swallow my fear and my grief because that’s what is necessary to survive, so maybe you, as a little girl, could start practicing to swallow those negative feeling too!

I imagined a little fairy tale about a dragon that used to terrorize people that has since been locked away in a cave behind giant gates, but the people keep sending people to die fighting it anyway.

19 Likes

You’d be surprise how well a conversation like this might work. I was a serial offender as early as kindergarten. I preferred going to the office rather than staying in class so it was no big deal. My parents finally told the principal that the consequence for getting in trouble was perceived as a reward. Once the principal made it clear that she was disappointed whenever I was sent to visit the office, it was as if a lightbulb went off.

Best of luck!

7 Likes

The sprog was like that at first. I would stop just around the corner and listen for a bit, he was just upset at me leaving not upset at where he was as he would quit about 10 seconds after I was around the corner. After a few days he had it figured out that I come back later and then would get upset I was taking him away from fun time with his friends.
She will get it figured out and happily hop on the bus for school in a few months cause taking the bus is fun at that age.

4 Likes

I’ve been dropping her off at daycare for over three and a half years.

6 Likes

Well nevermind then. I wonder what was going on with that. Mine kinda went in an out of stages of being upset at us leaving or dropping off at the babysitter. It may have just been an off day for the kid.

4 Likes

I had someone from Oxford City Council visit my house earlier today. They decided that my landlord hadn’t maintained my house to a reasonable standard (I have had windows that won’t open for several years among other faults) and are about to put a block on my eviction (for up to six months). They will be making a formal visit in two weeks.

This is good, not a victory yet but a stay of execution. I hadn’t found anywhere suitable to move to and my friends place isn’t ready for me to move in yet.

23 Likes

Fuck today. The cardiac surgeon used the term “Hail Mary” when discussing my father’s upcoming triple bypass surgery.

23 Likes

Was this the first time she went to day care? My daughter did that when she started her school for the first week. After that, she was fine. She still loves her school, actually and is looking forward to going back after a while.[quote=“anon50609448, post:2083, topic:67518”]
I’ve been dropping her off at daycare for over three and a half years.
[/quote]

Ah! There might be something else going on then. Do you know if she’s having problems at school? I hate to bring that up, because it’s very scary, but if she’s still having problems getting dropped off, it’s obviously not just the normal fears that some kids go through (my daughter is super shy in general).

Good luck!

8 Likes

So, my wife’s crown* broke off just before vacay (2 weeks ago).
She went in to day, and… after insurance it’s about $600 bucks.
And that’s after the sympathy $100 discount.

Did I tell you how she scraped the side of the van the same day her crown cracked? That’ll be a $500 co-pay right there.
I also got a flat-tire that week. Total puncture, had to replace it.

And a nice little freelance gig that a friend helped me connect with just prior to vacation… after I return the client told me she found somebody else in the meantime. AAAAAARGH!!!

* tooth

22 Likes

In the course of an hour (whilst wifey was gone getting her crown redone and I was WFH upstairs) my son flooded the bathroom and the kitchen (playing with water) and poured half of a giant bucket of cheezballs over the living room floor (“I was hungry!”).

And, totally unrelated I swear, my voice is now hoarse.

And I owe my wife an apology for saying she yelled at the kids more loudly than I did.

23 Likes