Fuck Today (Part 1)

Can you try to find out if she’s being bullied (or worse)?

6 Likes

Good point!

5 Likes

We’re pet sitting a rabbit (my 15yo’s Spanish teacher’s rabbit) for the summer and the thing hurt its back paw. Google is scaring me … talk of amputation, putting it to sleep, etc if it’s a broken leg. Or it could need a splint, or who knows what. No idea how it did this, but in the AM I gotta call this woman and see what she wants me to do. I’m not really in the mood to spend hundreds of dollars (or more, google says) on someone else’s rabbit. My kids swear they didn’t do anything, so I don’t think it’s their fault. But from the owner’s point of view, she gave us a perfectly fine rabbit and now it’s got a problem. So … maybe the right thing to do is split the bill? And the “after care” doesn’t sound fun. Keep it confined, etc. All of this was for the 8yo who wanted to start little pet sitting business (with our help of course- she’s 8). Grrrrrrr. FML.

[ yeah I see other people on here with much bigger problems … hugs to all those suffering for realz ]

Edit: Some reddit thread where a pet-sitted dog ate a sock was overwhelming saying the owner pays for $370 vet bill. I’ll see what this woman says tomorrow. My default position is … rabbit did something to its foot and it was not my fault (i.e. not stepped on, dropped, etc)… She should pay. If she says “$500?? Just put it to sleep then” I guess I’ll chip in. I don’t want it to be put to sleep. Sigh.

11 Likes

When people pet-sit our dogs I take it as given that I pay all vet expenses.

11 Likes

Ditto. I don’t want the sitter to not take the dog to the vet because he’s afraid of the cost.

We can hash out the money thing later if there’s some reason to, but the basic agreement is, “you take her to the vet when she needs it, I pay the bills.”

10 Likes

I’m with @d_r nd @hotel. When we leave on a trip, I leave a check for our vet with the pet sitter just in case the vet needs a partial payment ASAP. I also leave a letter authorizing treatment if I think that it might be difficult to get in touch with us.

5 Likes

Bunny update. Got in touch with owner – she is in Europe vacationing (which I knew was part of her summer so not a shock). She was fine with me taking it to the vet and was grateful that I’d front the payment but said whatever it is let her know. Was able to FaceTime once there (a first for the vet, personally or professionally) and she got to hear the options and decide. Seems there no fracture, so it’s bunny meds and rest and time. If not better by Tuesday we get X-rays (can be tough on bunnies). Owner was very concerned – I was expecting her to say “it’s a class pet – I don’t want to spend a ton of money here”. Didn’t happen. And zso far it’s only cost her $120 and me two hours.

16 Likes

That seems unfair; when someone babysits my kids I expect them to take care of all medical emergencies themselves.

7 Likes

Welp… my step dad passed away last night from pancreatic cancer. He was 68.

Say it with me now, everyone… FUCK CANCER!!!

40 Likes

I’m sorry to hear this, Mindysan33.

FUCK CANCER.

13 Likes

Absolutely fuck cancer. And fuck dying from any causes at only 68.

15 Likes

14 Likes

My dad was only 60 when he died of lung cancer…

It’s not fucking fair, actually…

19 Likes

Yeah, my sister was only 59 (ovarian). Yet Henry Kissinger goes on and on.

18 Likes

And mine was 55 (colon cancer). :slight_frown: I thought when my mom died at 87 (cancer) it would’ve been easier. Nope. It just pretty much sucks.

15 Likes

And @d_r… I’m sorry to you both…

14 Likes

I was just reading the thread and @lamaranagram 's bunny issues gave me a sudden & overwhelming memory of dog sitting my sister’s dog. Sis was traveling and incommunicado, on day two the pooch had a massive seizure. I flipped. I knew what to do to keep him safe until the seizure passed (much like you would do with a human) - but is this new? did he eat something? I rushed him to the K9 ER and they basically told me there wasn’t much they could do without thousands of dollars in tests. Onset broken heart. There was no way I could afford that & neither could my sister. I took him home & spent the next week or so I a constant state of neurosis. Turns out, it was an existing condition that she thought she had told me about - he just had some condition which caused him to have seizures from time to time. Glad I didn’t bankrupt both of us to find out what she already knew…

This sudden “full saturation” memory was played with a mote of sadness because he was the first dog to ever outsmart me. I was showing a friend how smart he was and I couldn’t get him to “stay” - turns out, if you started walking away from him when he was sitting on your right and stepped with your right foot first, he would follow, but if you walked away left foot first he would stay. Maan I miss that guy…

…but through all this is that it made me want to call my sis, but I can’t anymore, cuz FUCK CANCER.

Sorry, I just needed to get that out.

BTW @lamaranagram - it is my most sincere belief that whatever problem one is facing it is therefore the most significant problem there is. Particularly if pain is involved, as the pain one experiences is the greatest pain there is. Problems, pain - these aren’t viable candidates for comparison- if you have to solve it or endure it - it matters most of all.

17 Likes

Oh @Mindysan33 I’m so sorry.

My thoughts are with you.

13 Likes

FUCK CANCER!

And I’m sorry for your loss.

11 Likes

http://i.imgur.com/Icz0zgT.gif
17 Likes