Fuck Today (Part 1)

Leonard Cohen is still dead and Trump is still president-elect.

23 Likes

so much for actually having anything approaching a productive day around the house.

Time to just start drinking to numb the knowledge that Monday comes too soon

10 Likes

Apple Store.

8 Likes

Realizing all of my lifeā€™s disappointments pale in comparison to the reality of a Trump presidency.

(Realizing this will be my ā€œGroundhog Dayā€ Fuck Today.)

18 Likes

ā€˜Songs of Leonard Cohenā€™ is one of a few tapes I keep permanently in my musty glovebox (my car is old). The line ā€˜he was just a Joseph looking for a mangerā€™ will always evoke 40+ year old vinyl and decades of stale ashtray for me, which I think L.C. might be ok with. That tape is one of those rare records that is virtually flawless; a masterwork in songwriting, lyricism, sequence, theme, everything.

11 Likes

Well November 2016 is shaping up well.

Starting on 17 Nov, Iā€™ll be completely without a web connection at home for months. Weā€™re canceling our bonded triple T1, having moved all our servers to Austinā€™s Google Fiber backbone about 20 miles from here. Dewiring the fiber optic we own on the WAN will then commence. Oh the fun weā€™ve had moving all the sites (a few hundred) we host, getting all the wacky DNS sorted, and passwords from site owners who havenā€™t had to remember them for yeeeeeeeeaaaars and are deeply unfamiliar with standard password retrieval protocol. One clientā€™s at Standing Rock, where comm is subpar in the extreme due to deliberate cell coverage jamming by purpose-built aircraft. USA! USA! USA!

Hil-freakin-arious.

At some point in the misty future, our neighborhood will get its broadband from Time-Warner aka Spectrum aka [whichever corporation buys them next]. Whevs.

I canā€™t connect via hotspot because my iPhone gets 1 bar (or less!) inside our house (weā€™re in a valley). I can do some minimal clumsy surfing from that phone, but the bOINGā€™s iOS UI is unpredictable and kludgy. I canā€™t get a month-to-month satellite connection, only a year-long contract that I wonā€™t be able to break once weā€™re finally wired up. Ok ok ok these are nothing but first world problems, yeah, and Iā€™ll be the first to admit it.

So for all yā€™all who take broadband for granted, spare a thought for those of us ā€œon the last mileā€ who donā€™t have such civilized options. Expect plenty of radio silence from me except for when Iā€™m in a town with wifi, or at work (which is a few days a week).

Looking to catch up on my sewing, mending, gardening, and lengthy home repair task list. Maybe Iā€™ll finally get around to studying for a HAM radio license and plunge into the byzantine world of used HAM gear.

Peace. Countdown commencingā€¦

17 Likes

Trump is still the president-elect, he appointed a literal white supremacist as a key adviser, and Gwen Ifill passed away.

21 Likes

Another acquaintance I kept at arms length offed themself. My brain is okay, my face and eyes are disconnected and doing their own thing. I donā€™t know what that is.

18 Likes

Iā€™m sorry.

Youā€™re leaking; it happens sometimes.

14 Likes

Others are feeling it more. Iā€™m just locking it in and itā€™ll come out down the road as material. I think I feel worse about that.

10 Likes

Trump still president-elect and is still hanging with people attached to the new white nationalist movement.

Also, my mom is not feeling good.

23 Likes

Best wishes to your mum. Feel better soon, Mrs Mindysan!

17 Likes

Once again, my friends and family are all too busy to come to one of my concerts. It doesnā€™t bother me as much as it should, which is actually the thing that bothers me. After a lifetime of not being supported, Iā€™m just so used to it that it doesnā€™t matterā€¦except, I know itā€™s SUPPOSED to matter. So, even in this scenario, somehow Iā€™m the one at fault.

23 Likes

Itā€™s dark and gloomy. Iā€™m cold, I havenā€™t eaten today, I didnā€™t get to sleep until late and woke up after half the short day had passed.

Iā€™m being evicted. A friend has offered me a place, but itā€™s miles from anywhere* and thereā€™s not enough room for my stuff. Iā€™m slowly sorting through it, but Iā€™ve packed 15 boxes of books to go with me, and one to be taken to the charity shops, and thereā€™s still more to be packed. I have to be a bit more selective, I guess.

I missed my GP appointment because I was dealing with eviction stuff, so Iā€™m still not back on the anti-depressants. If I make another appointment, itā€™ll be three weeks again until I see him, or maybe a week to see someone else, who Iā€™ll have to go over the whole thing again with, with a complete stranger. You know how tired I am of telling strangers about my depression? I donā€™t want to, itā€™s because I have to, in order that they can fill in boxes in their bureaucratic forms, so I can get some treatment or some other favour? And deal with what I imagine theyā€™re thinking about me, which is after all, only what Iā€™m thinking about myself.

I was holding my head in my hands a little while ago; I wanted to squeeze it until it was small black marble of condensed matter, no feelings, no thought, no sensation, just nothing. I thought of the Host in a recent episode of Westworld, cracking his skull with a rock. Is that a suicidal thought? Does it count for as such for bureaucratic box-ticking, even if I didnā€™t think the word ā€˜suicideā€™ ā€” until just then?

I wish I drank, I could do with being blotto for a bit.

31 Likes

It felt odd giving your post a ā€œlikeā€ so here is a note to say: they are not thinking what you think theyā€™re thinking. Depression lies. It puts a filter of lies over the world. And I promise you, they are NOT thinking what you think they are thinking. What they could be thinking is ā€œOMG I just want to give this person a hugā€ but they cannot because professional ethics and organizational behaviour rules frowns on that sort of thing. And yes. Wanting to be ā€œnot hereā€ counts. Please tell your GP or go to a walk in or the hospital and tell them what is going on. Please.

Also, may I suggest renting a storage locker, and staying at your friends place for a month, or two if they can handle it. Pack a single suitcase and thats it. Put everything else into storage. Its just things. Theyā€™ll be there when youā€™re settled. I lived with all my stuff in storage for over 3 years. Getting those boxes back was like xmas morning. Internet hugs for you.

24 Likes

Be glad that your toddler hasnā€™t developed a taste for mojitos, like mine hasā€¦

ā€¦he liked them so much he shouted ā€œIā€™m drinking RUM!ā€ to the establishment we were inā€¦

11 Likes

God, Iā€™m crying now. Thanks, I needed that, really. I know it intellectually, but in the moment, I feel somewhat different, and itā€™s hard to remind myself.

The problem with storage is money. I can get a good deal for a couple of months, but even so, Iā€™ve got barely enough to live on as it is.

The deal with my friend is that heā€™s getting a place to store his body while heā€™s not at his new contract job or his weekend back home with his family, and heā€™d be subletting to me, butā€¦ he hasnā€™t considered what a person (with no money or transport) living there is going to need, like a local shop or a laundrette. I appreciate the help, I really do, but Iā€™d have liked to have had some input before being presented with this. I need to talk to him about it, but I donā€™t want to come off like a whiny ingrate.

21 Likes

Aw, I wish I could give you a real hug dude! I often have upset crying undergrads in my office and I wish I could give them a hug, I swear it would fix half the problems I see!!

Money is always the issue. PODS are $100-200 a month, and its a storage locker that is delivered to your residence. Or if your friends place isnā€™t viable, check out student housing or shared living places. Craigslist is still good for that.

Good luck!
And remember, depression lies! Its hard, but try not to listen to the lies!

17 Likes

I think I like your kid.

13 Likes

Without bothering to think about silly things like ā€œstandardsā€ or ā€œexpected behaviorā€ Red Hatā€™s Fedora team modified how linux systems using sssd interact with Active Directory, and then Red Hat pushed out the modification during a routine quarterly patch run to their flagship Enterprise Linux product.

Because of this insanity and this insanity (uber geeky links, do not click if RFC2307 is never casually mentioned in your household).

This breaks stuff, profoundly. POSIX systems require separate namespaces for groups and users and Active Directory cannot provide that separate namespace when directory consumers like sssd are drawing their information from a single namespace that does not allow duplication.

So all over the world, linux systems are breaking as scripts that rely on group names have suddenly had the rug yanked out from under them. These utter assclowns have blown off a critically important, globally significant standard on a whim without bothering to think for ten seconds about what it will do in real infrastructures.

##HACK TO FIX THIS, TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Add this line to your [domain] stanza in /etc/sssd/sssd.conf :

ldap_group_name = cn

9 Likes