Fuck Today (Part 1)

yeah, me too… definitely didn’t want to read too much more for fear of tearing up in front of the family.

8 Likes

Car broken into overnight. Pretty clear they were looking for cash; all my tools were still in the trunk. But the ignition assembly has been removed, the tumbler so incompetently hacked that key insertion is now physically impossible. So now I’m SOL getting to the shop unless a coworker is gracious enough to pick me up and drive me over.

22 Likes

Sympathies and hugs to so many on this thread, @piratejenny, @anon75430791, and anyone I’ve missed… I’m sorry I haven’t kept up.

16 Likes

I’ve just had an annoying evening – I was going to have dinner with some other translators in the area, and needed to take three inner-city trains to get there. The first was late, which meant that I missed the second connection, which made me about 20 minutes late. In my haste to catch the third train, I took the train that left two minutes before the one I was supposed to take. That meant that I’d be about an hour late, so I decided to cancel. Now I’ve wasted the whole evening on trains, lost out on an Indian meal and the money to pay for it and I look like a flake to the other people at the meal. It’s 8pm, and I still haven’t eaten.

Also, it looks like I’ll be in therapy over Christmas – I still can’t get a single medicine that helps my concentration without unacceptable side effects and my psychiatrist isn’t happy to try more than one, so I’m going to be spending a few weeks in inpatient treatment while I try to find the right mix. On the plus side, it will be helpful to spend some time working on psychological coping skills and I’ll be in a fully German-speaking environment, which should improve my speaking level (at the moment we speak English at home to make sure the kids don’t lose it (and because my FIL doesn’t speak it well), so I don’t have much practice most of the time.

22 Likes

Du wirst in einem deutschsprechigen geistigen Krankenhaus bleiben?

3 Likes

Wo ist der Bahnhof?

6 Likes

Eigentlich heißt es “Klinik für Psychiatrie und Psychotherapie”. Ich kann deutsch gut verstehen, aber ich habe mehr Probleme beim Sprechen, da ich es kaum benutze. Letzte Woche ist @renke zum Besuch gekommen; er hat meistens deutsch gesprochen, wiederum habe ich auf englisch geantwortet.

6 Likes

Hier in die Vereinigten Staaten, niemand spricht deutsch. Ich spreche nicht so flussig als früher, aber ich kann alles gut verstehen.

6 Likes

A friend whose cancer had been in remission just posted on Facebook that it came back, it’s everywhere, and she’s starting hospice care at home. She’s the sweetest person and I haven’t seen her in way too long. FUCK CANCER.

29 Likes

Welp, I was able to follow much more of those last few posts than I imagined. Maybe I should try reading more German to brush up on it…

9 Likes

Double, triple fuck it in the ear.

I’m so sorry to hear that. Hugs…

14 Likes

It’s just like English, except for all the many ways it isn’t.

12 Likes

Watch out for false cognates!

6 Likes

Trump is still president elect…

13 Likes

Just don’t order anything to eat or drink:

9 Likes

7 Likes

Even if it makes you nervous, even if you are unsure, you should reach out to her. For both your sake and hers. It is moments like these when people need old friends. I’m sending you tons of internet hugs and some relaxing music that will help you think.

http://66.90.94.162/ost/princess-mononoke-soundtrack/nggfmsbkbo/ashitaka-kouki-legend-of-ashitaka-theme-.mp3

EDIT: I would add that if both of you feel up for a visit, you should do so as soon as possible.

12 Likes

Their raw fish sandwiches are extra gross:

And as for their beer:

11 Likes

15 Likes

That’s not German beer though; that’s from Fucking, Austria.

12 Likes