Fuck Today (Part 1)

I came here to say something about Alan Rickman, its is already said.

@chgoliz Feeling a bit better?

5 Likes

For posterity, Fuck Today, too.

4 Likes

i am attempting to pen test a bunch of mobile apps on android and ios.

every emulator, online service, test harness, you name it, sucks donkey balls. like seriously. iā€™ve almost thrown my monitor across the room three times today.

if you ever, ever want a Sisyphean task, let me know. iā€™ve got one.

11 Likes

This is a weird complaintā€¦ but I am too good at my job. My bosses, past and present, all use words like ā€œmagicā€ and ā€œpsychicā€ to describe my abilities to do my job.

Today, Iā€™m literally being asked to do the impossible, and when I say its not possible I get ā€œoh youā€™ll work your magic on it Iā€™m sureā€ - like no, fuck you, fuck today, its not possible!

17 Likes

So youā€™re in this situation?

11 Likes

Long story: A friend of mine had a co-op job at a software company back in university. His manager, who knew nothing about coding, was extremely impressed with him through the term, so in the last two weeks he gave him a project: Write code to detect errors in other code - not syntax errors like missing semi-colons, but errors in the logic behind the code. He tried to explain to his boss that this was impossible, but he got the ā€œTry your best.ā€ He attempted to explain the difference between hard and impossible, citing theorems to prove that what his boss was asking was impossible, but he got nowhere.

He had two weeks left, he thought his boss was an idiot, and he really didnā€™t plan on coming back to work for the company again. So he wrote some code that hashed whatever you gave it and used that as a seed for a random number generator that spit out a value for how many logical errors were in the piece of code you fed it. The hash function was there to make sure that it gave the same answer if you ran it on the same piece of code twice.

He gave it to his boss on his last day and told him it was the best he could do.

He was a little surprised to find out that the company wanted him back for his next work term. He found out that his previous manager had attempted to take credit for the miraculous program, passing it off as his own work, and had been fired.

19 Likes

You just need annotated code, and an examiner.

Something like this.

1 Like

You can build code that tries to find and/or reduce errors - especially since humans probably make the same kinds of errors over and over - but there is no piece of code that can tell you whether or not any other piece of code does what you want. When your boss tells you to solve the Halting Problem, I think itā€™s fair to say they are asking the impossible.

8 Likes

Itā€™s that bad Scottish accent you always useā€¦

4 Likes

YOU KNOW WHATS WORSE?
I did the thingā€¦ I made it workā€¦ AND THEN THEY CHANGED THE PARAMETERSā€¦

ā€¦ and I did it again ā€¦

Iā€™m doing it to myself. /sigh

7 Likes

i recently got a request to, ā€œpen test native apps on all mobile devicesā€.

that may not be a classical halting problem, but it halted me and i took an early lunch.

5 Likes

A dear friend lost their dog last night/early this morning.

There just arenā€™t words.

8 Likes

My best friend of many years died in the night.

Itā€™s like nothing in the world makes sense anymore. I know Iā€™ll eventually be okay. But I keep seeing him everywhere. And it keeps jolting me, and re-opening the wound.

If I ever get crazy billionaire money, Iā€™m going to engineer a breed of dogs who live as long as we do.

20 Likes

So many hugs in the world.
And for a moment of woo, youā€™re seeing him because heā€™s checking on you. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I canā€™t imagine what youā€™re going through. I would lose a huge part of myself if my best friend died. Iā€™d give you a huge, cook a meal and listen to stories about your friend if I could.

6 Likes

Thank you.

5 Likes

Actually, Microsoft has come up with something rather clever that can find some logic errors in .Net based languages.

They used it to identify and fix a bug in their own .Net Framework code.

Granted, itā€™s utility is super limited, but hey man, something is better than nothing. Free bugfixes.

3 Likes

I keep their ashes. Sometimes I hug them.

Honestly it is what keeps me from the Final Decision. Even if I feel that people donā€™t care about me, I know they do. And it would be horrible if I dropped that weight on my loved ones :slightly_smiling:

Your companion is gone. But your companion isnt gone from you. Jebus its hard, there are no replacements, but there is happiness after the grieving. Ramses and Isis, two black old kitties, took a year each for me to come to terms.

Take care of yourself, your companion is gone. But you have a network of companions. Keep your promises to those that have left, celebrate their life. WTF else can we do.

I may go smoke some weed. I am rather maudlin myself :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks man.

4 Likes

I had a good day today.

1. I am not getting fired.
  2. I am not dieing any faster than anyone else.
  3. I have forgiven the dude who spiralled me out of control.
  4. ā€¦and I donā€™t know how to feel about thisā€¦ But my wife wants to reconcile.

Jesus, could I be turning a corner?

13 Likes