Fuck Today (Part 1)

I would hate to herd teachers - they’d all be questioning my methodology, asking if trail-time counted towards professional development hours, or trying to get me to take over coaching the soccer team.

11 Likes

The power at home went out in a storm yesterday at around 1:30 PM. it was still out when I got off work, so I took my spouse out to dinner and a movie thinking that’d give them plenty of time to get things going again.

Nope. At that point we were still one of about 12,000 homes without power in the St. Louis area. It took 16 hours just to get an ETA: it should be back by about 6 PM tonight.

I’m so used to sleeping with a fan on, or otherwise moving air at least, that I just didn’t sleep well last night, and I’m more sore and cranky today than usual.

I’m also worried about our aquariums. Temperature is probably going to be fine for all involved – goldfish with no heater anyway in the big tank, relatively robust tropicals in the other and without AC, a house temperature approaching their preferred range – but oxygen and the health of the filter bacteria are a concern.

11 Likes

*lolz

Right on. In my short time here, I’ve noted that many of the mutants are very emotionally supportive of each other. It’s a good thing.

*lirl

But seriously, given how much of a rolling stone my pops was, it’s entirely possible.

And I’m down for a girls night, if you’re ever in the Bay area.

:slight_smile:

Oh but we do.

Who says that I don’t already have my second and that we’ve been looking for our third?

:wink:

10 Likes

Can I say that that scene from the Color Purple always gets me… I mean, the whole movie is a cryfest, but that scene KILLS me every time. I’ve seen it like a million times and still…

3 Likes

It’s kind of a tradition in my family to watch TCP around the holidays, and yes; Maybe God is Trying to Tell You Something tugs my heartstrings every single time.

It was such a powerful scene, even if one is not religious (and I’m generally not.)

3 Likes

I always feel like my F*** Today posts are a little light, but here goes.

So I’m driving to the store, and a very nice motorist waves me down and lets me know my right rear brake light is out. Awesome. I’ve got spare bulbs in the trunk, so I’ll just pull into a parking lot and pop one in. Guess what? The damn trunk won’t open, even though I can hear the solenoid moving. So I try the key instead of the fob. Guess what? It’s tied to the f’n electrical system too. It’s not a mechanical override, it’s a f’n switch. (Thanks VW.) Guess I’ll crawl in through the back seat and pull the only manual override that exist, which is inside the F’n trunk.

Maybe I’m a bit pissy over nothing. Perhaps I’m in a bad mood for other reasons. Could it be that I’m currently out of work and every damn recruiter and HR person I’ve dealt with so far doesn’t even understand what I do? Maybe that’s the real problem.

Oh well. I’ve got a meet up with some old work buddies later, so I’ve got something to look forward to. I also live in an incredibly beautiful place and the weather is gorgeous today. Hope I can keep a roof over my head.

19 Likes

The drama with your car sounds annoying.

The situation regarding being unemployed sucks; you have my sincere sympathies.

Hope it gets better, soon.

12 Likes

Been a while, didn’t realize there was a Victory thread! Don’t we just kvetch and complain on here?!?!? :wink:

6 Likes

My “eff today” is more like “eff the general tenor of this year so far.” I’ve been working myself to the bone for a few months now. Still love my job but it’s kind of miserable working so hard but getting so much flack from everyone outside your immediate group.

These folks apparently have scads of free time in their day and I’m like “I got to have an entire lunch today. Woo.” But they’re giving me flack every time I legitimately need them to do something.

And now I’m sick. :mask: I just have to keep telling myself that one day I’ll have my revenge. :nail_care:

In the mean time I’m kicking myself because I haven’t written in months. Not having a good time.

Nah, you’re not. We’re all nerds in some way or other. :laughing: Including you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

Oh, I am so totally a nerd…

7 Likes

If you read through the magic pyramid thread, you’ll find khepra (@ omitted) quoting a guy named Legrand Clegg, and getting indignant when I point out that Clegg was a noted anti-semite. Clegg actually got his big start by leading a crusade against TCP, incredibly equating it with Birth of a Nation.

2 Likes

As far as I’m concerned, Alice Walker was on board with it, Quincy Jones did the soundtrack, the cast was stellar, etc, so it was all good. One of the better book to film adaptations, if you ask me. Maybe the guy didn’t like her books in general?

1 Like

No, the guy is just a self-important, bigoted ass. His primary objection was that Spielberg is Jewish.

1 Like

I can honestly answer the question “how many siblings do you have?” by starting with 0 and counting to at least 10…and there’s probably more. Both original parents were rolling stones, so there are half siblings spread out over several decades of births, in countless families (I’ve found “only” 6 so far). Most probably don’t even realize that one or both of the parents who raised them are not biologically related. So, yeah, actually…I’m not entirely joking.

9 Likes

But showers always make farts smell that much worse. And this was a bad.

Oh, and seen by doctor, just unfortunate enough to fall back sick again right as I was getting better.

4 Likes

“like”

We need greater variety than just a plain heart.

Hope this clears up quickly for you.

6 Likes

OH… ugh.

7 Likes

Today has been a constant stream of my name being called, followed by ‘i don’t need you right now’ me wandering off and then name being called again because them going out for the weekend is happening. granted they are also taking truck to long time family friends but after last weekend’s ‘pick a bill i don’t get to pay because you won’t shut up about the dogs’ my bullshit tolerance is really fucking low on top of my chain being yanked every ten fucking minutes… I am not a happy camper.

And now? The area the dogs are in my stepdad put multch and landscaping plants in, and behind our yard is an overgrown field we lost a litter of puppies last year, so these puppies will end up destroying plants, which will piss family off, and then get behind our yard where foxes will kill them.

It’s the ‘pick a bill I won’t get to pay’ dressing down my stepdad gave me that hurts worst. I mean… if you cannot care for the dogs proper GET RID OF THEM. I love my dogs. Tik is a wonderful loving derp, but… if we cannot give her the care she deserves find her a new home.

13 Likes

I swear I will stop whining soon. I have had Victories today.

It’s been more than a year now that I’ve been affectionately touched, by a dude or woman. And I dont mean anything sexual, just a close feeling.

Sometimes ya just want your door to be broken down, with a human on the other side, that proclaims, “let’s spoon!”

Gah, I’m a whiny japhroaig tonight. Things are going well, but I yearn for them to be… Weller? But it takes work and time.

30 Likes

I’m fine. I just see people who need hugs.

24 Likes