Fuck Today (Part 1)

Actually, I remember asking Cory the same question once when he tweeted about being locked out.

I don’t think he found it terribly amusing.

10 Likes

Fuck today indeed, right in the godamned eyeholes.

7 Likes

Halloween was canceled in Oregon this year.

3 Likes

One of my friends lost her long term boyfriend (and father of her two kids) to a heart attack two or three years ago. She’s been with someone else for about a year and a half, and things were going pretty well - the kids started calling him dad earlier this year etc. Last week he had some discomfort in his throat and went to the doctor. It’s stage 4 oesophogeal cancer, and it’s spread to his other organs. She’s only 31 and her boyfriend’s in his late 20s - I don’t know if he even smokes.

12 Likes

I was going to write my own fuck today post because today has been shit. But it doesn’t compare to that at all.

5 Likes

Kinda awkward to hit “Like” on that one. Just consider it a Heart.

10 Likes

Slams door.
“You’ve got your keys, haven’t you hun?”
Exchange looks of horror.

5 Likes

One of the profs in my department had a heart attack this week and it looks like he’s not going to recover from it.

5 Likes

Fuck Today

After having seen those Peanuts costumes, I doubt if they are getting many offers anymore.

1 Like

Oh no… thats terrible. :frowning:
This is the second heart attack I’ve heard of this weekend… great, now I’m waiting for a third.

2 Likes

And he’s now died. And I’m sort of pissed off that the department chair didn’t announce his death on the grad listserve (but presumably did on the faculty listserve). I heard about his death from a forward from another history listserve my friend is on, not from the department head. Doesn’t that seem… wrong?

9 Likes

Ugh, I’m sorry. Its so hard to navigate this stuff.
Usually don’t the messages go out with times/date for the funeral or donation instructions?
Maybe they’re waiting for that?

1 Like

The other one I got had details about a reception at his house. The prior one the department head did send out was before he passed and mentioned a memorial at the university in the next couple of weeks, but that’s about it. This is a professor who is well known and has been around the department since the 90s, at least. He has students he’s working with. So I don’t know, it just seems weird that she (the chair) wouldn’t share the reception information with the grads…

[ETA] FYI, this is him, Cliff Kuhn. He did a semi-regular feature on our local NPR station about Atlanta History:

He also did a historical tour every other Sunday of the locations of the 1906 Atlanta Race Riot:

http://www.atlantapreservationcenter.com/event_detail?id=757

4 Likes

Maybe the family doesn’t want them? Maybe she thinks she’s helping the family?
I dunno, death makes people do dumb things, I give people a lot more leeway when it comes to reactions to death. Maybe dig up the other email and forward it to the chair and ask for an update?

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m trying to think in those terms and it’s entirely possible, but this has become a regular pattern with the chair by now - she’s just non-communicative on any number of things and rarely engages with grad students anymore. It’s really sort of depressing.

2 Likes

Ah well yes, the possibility that the chair is just bad in general at this sort of thing is also always a high possibility, there is always that.

I’d still reply/forward to the older email asking all innocent like for an update, because you’ve heard rumours but nothing official.

2 Likes

Asymmetry lets us know this is real.

RatWoman’s grandfather had a bad one on Friday, but he made it to the hospital. He may have had a second smaller one since. He’s currently in the CICU hooked up to a external pacemaker and other gadgets. He’s one tough old man, but I don’t think he’s going to make it.

11 Likes

And here is the remembrance my adviser posted today on Cliff:

10 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that. I hope he pulls through.

5 Likes