Fuck Today (Part 1)

Painted basement floors are nice. Ditto walls.
Still pretty easy to clean up (when floods happen), and much nicer looking than bare.

6 Likes

So: as mentioned before, CT scan came back clean (yay!).
But then: just got $1000 co-pay bill because the person who did the scan was a “Tier 2” provider. Even though she’s a) in the same building as my Tier 1 PCP b) works for the same organization as my PCT c) I didn’t know who would be doing the scan until I showed up for said scan.
Health insurance has already turned me down once, now I’m submitting a formal appeal.
Fuck all this with fire.

32 Likes

So not Oklahoma, about which the rest of us Midwesterners wonder: why DON’T houses in Tornado Alley have basements to escape to?

11 Likes

Having trouble with the summer home on pluto any chance.

3 Likes

That’s their new “money making” approach - when I got knee surgery a while back, I got a bill from (IIRC) five different companies. Turns out, everyone that touched me technically worked for a different company. That’s some Grade A BS right there.

17 Likes

Have Speedsuit Will Travel.

10 Likes

About 5 years ago, I had to have two surgeries back-to-back. The second time, I got a bill for an assistant surgeon that I never met and who wasn’t recognized by my insurance. I was already under when he came in the room. I never had the chance to say “no, wait, I don’t want this guy, get me a covered doctor.”

Hell for all I know, he passed me in the hall and added his name to my chart. But I was still on the hook for his fee.

19 Likes

Really? Wow. See where I live, it’s on the edge of areas that get high tornado activity, but according to at least one map I’ve looked at, there were maybe ten tornados in the general four county area in a fifty year period. Meanwhile the geology of the area is largely sedimentary rock, and there’s a lot of sand, so water moves easily through it, making basement wet, moldy, and dank unless you’ve got 24/7 moisture control, which cuts out whenever the power goes out… mainly during storms, when you need it most.

Cutting out that section of carpet. Totally not willing to deal with it. The homeowners scratched their chins and said that it’s time to do tile. I heartily approve of this plan of action.

8 Likes

Screw tile. Tyvek then linoleum the fucker, it’ll be tighter than a bathtub. (Always do the opposite of what I recommend)

7 Likes

So start a libertarian paradise at the bottom of the ocean. Gotcha.

15 Likes

You, me, and Peter thiel. Natch.

11 Likes

We’ll stay up late, eat ice cream for dinner, and ride our scuba-bikes until the Temporal Artifice Globe goes down. It’ll be great!

10 Likes

Would kindly get started on that?

4 Likes

This won’t seal enough for a midwestern below-grade basement. Once the carpet is up, clean the cement well with TSP, then roll on a couple of coats of a penetrating hydrophobic sealant like Dry-Lok. After that, you can paint, or tile, or linoleum (real linoleum is beautiful, but expensive), or whatever.

7 Likes

So what yer saying is we are installing a swimming pool in Abe’s basement, right?

13 Likes

It is almost unavoidable in a basement in the midwest. You either fortify and decorate it on the assumption that every few years it will get several inches deep in water, or you don’t and suffer the consequences.

10 Likes

I’ll bring the inner tubes, you are in charge of snacks.

5 Likes

What, no water beads?

7 Likes

Do you need the snacks blended?

6 Likes

Are you and @japhroaig taking one for the rest of humanity, so we don’t have to deal with Thiel any more?

14 Likes