Furries deplatform Milo

Here you go.

40 Likes

@gracchus- thanks for the link to “missing stairs.” Will tuck that away for future use!

2 Likes

If well-educated, non-maladjusted, empathetic was a category of people, you’d probably have a hard time scraping together a bunch of far-rights in that group.

I’m sure there are still some though. It’s like cockroaches in a restaurant. There may not be many, but they’re always there to ruin things.

*edit for spelling.

7 Likes

Milo - the new face of desperation.

I guess he could always start a phone tree or a bowling team.

13 Likes

Real talk.

21 Likes

I remember reading about domestic abuse among homosexual couples. Turns out gay men abuse men about as much as straight men abuse women (and lesbians abuse women about as much as straight women abuse men). Makes it pretty damn clear where the problem is.

ETA: Please note correction in response.

21 Likes

AFAIK, there are a lot of women in furry circles too, at least among the artists. But you’re right about angry dudes being angry.

7 Likes

🎜 Take the skinheads bowling, take them bowling… 🎝

18 Likes

Sadly, “deplatform” may not be the right word here. Since the widespread announcement of Milo registering, it took a whole day for the event organizers to say “we’ll look into it”, and then silence since. Since the organizers’ response wasn’t an immediate “actually no he’s not welcome here”, a lot of furries I know are cancelling plans to attend.

11 Likes

:exploding_head:

4 Likes

That’s not what the stats say

From the wiki:

In a 2010 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study, reporting on domestic violence in the U.S., 26% of gay men said that they experienced physical violence, stalking, or rape by their partners.[21] 29% of heterosexual men reported similar violence in the same study.

The CDC also stated that 40% of lesbian women reported physical violence by their partners, and 44% reported experiencing physical violence, stalking, or rape by their partners. In contrast, 35% of heterosexual women reported physical violence, stalking, or rape by their partners in the same study.[21]

10 Likes

He asked his followers who plan to attend Midwest FurFest to message him to arrange “dinner, drinks, photos or anything else.”

Uhhh, are we just not acknowledging what he is doing for money at this point? We’re all agreed about what the “anything else” implies, right?

2 Likes

There were some on FurAffinity, but after changes to code of conduct all seem to be gone from there (and nothing of value was lost):

2.7 Do not identify with or promote real hate or terrorist organizations and their ideologies.
A hate group is one that advocates and practices hatred, hostility, or violence towards members of a designated sector of society (e.g. Nazism, KKK, ISIS, Alt-Right). Symbols of hate associated with these groups (e.g. Swastika, Confederate Flag, etc.) will not be permitted in user avatars, real-life photographs (unless for historical education), and content intended solely to disrupt the community. Users who identify with or promote real hate or terrorist organizations and their ideologies may be permanently banned from Fur Affinity without warning.

22 Likes

The title is only three words long but the number of circles that participate in a venn diagram illustrating this situation; wow.

4 Likes

A case study in the paradox of tolerance.

9 Likes

Having voted Ilhan Omar as my representative in Minneapolis. I think he is far from this.

1 Like

12 Likes

And all of those numbers are unacceptably high. We apparently suck at being hooman. :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

Based on what I know of convention running, my guess is that they runners are either 1) running around getting sign off on an offiical response (which will hopefully be “he is banned”, but I could be wrong); 1b) trying desperately to get a hold of the con chair who has just left for a three week vacation in outer nosignalville; 2) burying their heads in the sand and hoping it’ll all go away until they realize that incidents like these are ways that conventions are killed by either a mushy response or no response at all…

8 Likes

We saw the same thing in SF&F fandom years back. Marion Zimmer Bradley and her husband were able to get away with outright child sexual abuse partially because criticizing them let alone calling the police would be letting down “the Community”.

8 Likes