FYRE Fest criminal Billy McFarland says he is building a hotel in the Bahamas, called PYRT

Originally published at: FYRE Fest criminal Billy McFarland says he is building a hotel in the Bahamas, called PYRT | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Even more exciting, McFarland announced that PYRT will develop “virtual immersive decentralized reality,”

Can somebody tell him that shrooms already exist?

18 Likes

Grifters can’t stop griftin’

EDIT: Shoot, I missed my chance to call it GRYFT (and so did Billy.)

13 Likes

I suspect PYRT will go over like a loud FYRT in an elevator…

17 Likes

Please tell me that there’s a cryptocurrency angle and that he’s selling NFTs. It’s all gonna be on the blockchain, right?

13 Likes

“virtual immersive decentralized reality,”

That sounds like the kind of thing that comes from a random catchphrase generator.

10 Likes

Random catchphrase generators have more sense than to come up with such a vapid phrase.

5 Likes

This will be a real test of the “glass floor” that gives white guys like Billy chance after chance to screw up spectacularly.

Even if he convinces some suckers to give him the seed capital, the Bahamas have told him to stay away.

7 Likes

Live scenes from the building site:

8 Likes

Please tell me that no one is going to fall for this. Have any influencers signed on yet? I’m sure that’s the next step.

5 Likes

Why does he get to try again?

8 Likes

I think the next step is when he announces a partnership with Sam Bankman-Fried. I mean, Bankman-Fried’s already right there in the Bahamas, isn’t he? It’s a natural fit.

Maybe McFarland will get an invite to join the FTX polycule.

7 Likes

They’d be a good match. Studiously Schlubby Sam is turning out to be just as much a shameless grifter as Billy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-30/bankman-fried-denies-trying-to-commit-fraud-at-fallen-ftx-empire

6 Likes

When I go to a beautiful tropical island, what I’m really looking for is virtual immersive decentralized reality…

11 Likes

If there’s one word that conveys “honest person who won’t take all your money and flee to the Bahamas” it’s “Pirate.”

17 Likes

It doesn’t sound like they told him to stay away, they just don’t want him to host an event. Indeed, I think they kind of want him to come to the Bahamas, though not for any reason he’d enjoy. From the article:

The letter called McFarland a “fugitive” with “several pending complaints” against him with the Royal Bahamas Police Force. Anyone with knowledge of McFarland’s whereabouts should report it to the police, the letter said.

So perhaps the prize for the “treasure hunt” that he was teasing is a reward from the authorities for information leading to his capture.

5 Likes

PYRT, you say?

12 Likes

Wondering if the rooms will be booked as NFTs, because that would just be perfect.

3 Likes

Mark Zuckerberg, more like. Oh, wait…

2 Likes

It isn’t mentioned in the Insider article, but PYRT is actually part of an NFT scam that Billy McFarland has been promoting since he was released from prison in March of 2022.

More details here Fyre Festival island to be transformed into crypto-only resort I mean, of course, the Fyre Fest guy is shilling NFTs now. That’s not a surprise at all.

5 Likes