Gamer star PewDiePie canned by Disney and YouTube after anti-semitic postings

PewDiePie’s comments have made him popular with neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer, which has run a series of articles about the YouTuber, describing him as “our guy”.

“He could be doing all this only to stir things up and get free publicity,” wrote The Daily Stormer.

“Ultimately, it doesn’t matter, since the effect is the same; it normalizes Nazism, and marginalizes our enemies.”

And that, right there, is the point, right out of the mouths of the Nazis themselves.

21 Likes
2 Likes

4 Likes

Good read and good article. But I can’t Like it, you know?

1 Like

This was a great article with lots of additional background

5 Likes

Meanwhile, in non-terrible YouTube star news…

10 Likes

I’d much prefer it if people like Hannah Hart and the Green brothers were the ones who got to make millions off of their popularity on YouTube. They do Good Things.

7 Likes

Most of you avoid mentioning how WSJ forget to mention that all the clips they used to prove their false narrative that Felix is anti Semite were taken from jokes. This is slandering, and almost none of you have any problems with that. I am no fan of Felix, but even if he would be real racist nobody has right to take few clips cherry picked from hundreds of videos and recompile them in a way WSJ did. They actually took clips from video where Felix was talking about media taking clips out of context to “prove” he is a nazi, and then he inserted a clip of him in some uniform. WSJ used exactly that clip in their video taking it out of context, doing exactly what Felix tried to prove they are doing.
Would you applaud if they would cut out specific words and recompile them in sentences Felix never said too?

You dont need to like his humor. Thats fine. But dont feel compelled to tell others they are not supposed to like his humor. Sure hitler jokes might not be kind of humor for 12 year olds, but I dont think it pushes kids to become nazis, I am pretty sure they learn quite fast that what hitler did was very wrong. Clip with Jesus saying “Hitler did nothing wrong” is not funny if you believe it is true, context clearly indicates to even 10 year olds that what Jesus said is not true.
What we found funny is mostly involuntary. I am pretty sure that 99% of his audience knows that Holocaust is not funny. Yet they find jew jokes funny. That doesnt make them or him anti Semites.

Also he is in no way on his way down. Almost all youtubers, who arent completely PC yet, supported him. In past three days he got 250k subscribers. Before world found out WSJ and many other MSM think he is a nazi his average gain was about 25k daily. So currently he is gaining support from this. This sort of pictured him as a martyr in war for free speech in eyes of his fans, and MSM and Disney are on the opposite side. I dont think many of Felixes fans will subscribe to WSJ anytime soon.
Its very similar to how violent protesters prevented Milo to speak to couple of hundred students and achieved him having numerous interviews reaching millions of viewers on major networks.

But 54 milion subscribers is very overblown number. Many of his older fans who watched only gameplay videos dont watch him anymore. His average views on his videos are about 4M. His subscribers/views ratio is very low. Since he uploads daily this is still a lot, but in past month comparing view count he was 102th channel on youtube so he is not really number 1.

1 Like

22 Likes

Buddy, I got three things to say:

1. Genocide isn’t a joke.
  2. The Nazis themselves are calling him one of theirs.
  3. He’s an antisemite by definition due to his behavior, regardless of his intent.
30 Likes
  1. True. But if it is used in a joke some people find it funny. And they cant control this.
  2. Also True. But this is not something he can control. Also he said that as soon he found out about this he posted blog on tumblr saying he doesnt support or endorse any violent groups. This was not really needed for majority of his viewers since they already new that. And Nazis on that website put him in banner ironically, they know very well Felix is not one of them.
  3. You cant really decide if he is or he isnt antisemite. Only he knows what lies in his heart. Making jew jokes and posting hitler memes does not make someone antisemite in my eyes. But I guess you can stretch term to include comedians and all who are doing it “for the lulz”. But I think you arent convincing many real antisemites to convert by doing that.
  1. Then they are vile people.
  2. He can control it by not making antisemitic ‘jokes’. It’s really, really easy to not be endorsed by Nazis! You just have to not be a horrible person!
  3. Buddy, I’m a Jew. This person was making jokes about my death and that of every single one of my relatives. I can damn well call him an antisemite for that!

And I’m not interested in converting him or anyone else. I am interested in combating their message and making sure that “edging Jew-killing jokes” don’t ever manage to grow into normalizing Jew-massacring again!

28 Likes

No but we can decide his humor is crass tasteless and not fucking funny or appropriate much like Disney did.

22 Likes

You don’t get to tell people what they’re allowed to say about other people’s public speech.

21 Likes

Not that dude’s intentions were at all “good;” whatever they may have really been.

If I may add onto your comment as input from another “Other” whose group is often maligned:

#We don’t give a happy fuck if the people who say hateful shit and encourage hateful behavior actually ‘mean it’ or not; the damage being done is still the same, regardless to intent.

And as far as I’m concerned, hatemongers will be held just as accountable as ‘active racists’ when the time comes…

20 Likes

Was this reply or just uppercase spam?
You are suggesting that if you make racial jokes, and you are criticized by people who think you are not allowed to make such jokes, your defence triggers some sort of events that consequently turn you into hard core alr-right winger?
Isnt this sort of like saying that is you smoke weed and get caught by cops you turn into cop killer?

I am not saying it couldnt happen or it never happened. But maybe. If you would keep your “SINCERE OUTRAGE” and “WEIRDLY REAL CONSEQUENCES” for yourself and leave jokers make their jokes in peace they would not turn into “DYE-IN-THE-WOOL FASCISTS”

Hey, he did it as a joke!

And I certainly laughed as Disney shitcanned him

15 Likes

Please do.

Also, I have a point of scale to mention here.

This Swedish Nazi has over 50 million subscribers, and, if his gallant defender here is correct, that number just grew. But apparently I shouldn’t take that as a threat that a quarter million more people think that “Death to Jews!” jokes are funny and worthy of support.

HOWEVER.

If just one out of three of those 50 million people who subscribe to this garbage also agree with him on “Death to the Jews!”…

Then there are more people worldwide that I can describe with the phrase “Antisemites who follow a Swedish Antisemitic YouTuber” than I can describe with the word “Jewish.”

20 Likes

You are very right. You can voice your opinion. But for myself, I am radical free speech supporter, and I never feel I have any right to tell others what they are allowed to say, as long as they dont incite violence or just pollute conversation with noise.
You have every right to comment, blog, reply… to any of his fans, his haters or anybody else. But what you are not allowed to do is forge some false evidence. And according to my beliefs you can do even that. As long as you are not some major media organization that should be factual. Cherry picking few clips out of his jokes and recompiling them to picture him in completely different way as he intended is slandering in my eyes. No different to lying. Again OK to do as a person, but not OK to do as News organization.
There is a difference in fighting for what you believe in and taking people down while doing this.

I would have no problems if WSJ would openly say “Felix uses hitler and antisemite symbolism in his jokes and kids watch his youtube videos” But they went much further.
Also I dont think Disney dropping him is controversial. They have every right to do so. If it was clever business decision… time will tell.

1 Like

WHAT PART OF “DEATH TO JEWS” IS NOT INCITING VIOLENCE?!

28 Likes