Gamer star PewDiePie canned by Disney and YouTube after anti-semitic postings

Absolutely true.
But there is big difference between not funny comedian and antisemite. Some seem to jump that gab at throwing accusations way to easily.

You have some pretty surprisingly specific knowledge about what’s going on in the inner minds of those Nazis.

21 Likes

The part where this was just minor part of the broader joke, and vast majority of of audience didnt take it literally. Actually the joke was that Keem Star said that.
Would you feel same outrage is sign would say Kill all chicken we eat? or Kill all terrorist? or Kill are rapers? or Punch all Nazis?
Point would be the same, just joke would be more lame for his audience. This was funny because people know it is WRONG.

And your comic is completely relevant. Except one thing is missing 1st amendment also protects you from physical violence or proportional consequences for stating your beliefs in no threatening or derogatory manor.
Nothing wrong with Disney dropping him. Even YouTube has all rights to delete his channel if its against terms and conditions, but problem is that WSJ forged evidence, making excuse that this is somehow allowed because fascism is on the rise so they will slander some popular guy that made few jewish jokes. Thats just wrong. By doing this all his fans feel they have been accused of being antisemites and they know very well they are not so they conclude that accusers are wrong.

So, what’s the threshold then, for being an antisemite?

I mean, if “just joking” about killing Jews isn’t enough, then what is?

23 Likes

Here is the full text of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Please point to the part of this text which “protects you from physical violence or proportional consequences”.

I’ll wait.

23 Likes

I am not a chicken, and you comparing me to one is not scoring you any rhetorical points, buddy. Keep in mind that I am viewing this as a normalization of the death threats that I get from PDP’s fan club on a daily basis.

“Kill all terrorists” is not a joke, it’s war crimes in the form of military policy that are being done right now by the US military, for which I am also outraged.

“kill all rapists”? Well, that would be a step up from the current slap on the wrists that some rapists manage to receive as punishment. (btw, in case you can’t tell, that is a black humor joke).

“Punch all Nazis”? Where do I sign up? (same)

You see, the problems with your examples are that I am not an animal to be burned in an oven, nor do I have any choice about being Jewish. I was born a Jew, and I will die a Jew, probably at the hands of one of PDP’s fan club. Nazis, actual terrorists and rapists, on the other hand, were not born as those classifications.

And the fact that you keep trying to insist that I’m not seeing the “greater context” of the joke made about my murder, and the fact that you keep trying to defend the person who is joking about my murder and the murder of my entire ethnicity tells me that you are an antisemite, by dint of the fact that you feel more outrage at the fact that your pet celebrity is getting backlash for “joking” about mass murder than you are at the “joke” itself.

What that means to me is that you value his right to be offensive more than my right to stay alive.

And that makes you the holder of antisemitic attitudes, because you are placing his right to consequence-free speech over my right to life.

30 Likes
9 Likes

I’d add that if you’re a comedian and you need to add “Just kidding” or an explanation to bigoted jokes, you’re a shit comedian and should probably give up comedy.

If you feel the need to double down on this by giving non-pologies like “I’m sorry that you felt offended by this” then you’re a shit person and should probably give up breathing.

Or just be a better comic and a better person. Although TBH, I’m kinda easy either way. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

I’ve long suspected that a lot of modern “shock” humor can be traced back to people watching South Park and fundamentally misunderstanding what it was doing.

16 Likes

I agree. Nothing kills a joke like having to explain it.

I have a very twisted and dark sense if humor but I recognize that it takes a very high level of skill to make something intentionally offensive become funny. “Punching down” like the article mentions is a sure way to fail.

6 Likes

I’d be more inclined to blame Beavis and Butthead. A whole bunch of teenagers at the time seemed to miss the point and viewed them as role models.

6 Likes

To be honest I never checked Daily Stormer site, my source for that claim was Philip DeFranco video https://youtu.be/DtlDC1sZFSg?t=6m22s. I think his videos are quite factual.

For the sake of this comment I visited the site for the first time.

They removed Felix from banner and replaced it with banner saying that they are World #1 Wall Street Journal Fansite. With photo of three musketeers with photoshoped faces of three guys, I assume WSJ journalists that that wrote PewDiePie piece. To me this is funny. To those that thought that Felix being on that banner means he supports nazis, this should mean that WSJ also supports nazis now if they stick to same logic.

I found few articles about PewDiePie on site. I checked 2. They seem like real articles at first sight, but reading them they are also taking things out of context just like WSJ did. They spin the events in their way. Mostly stereotypical exploiting of reactions in their own advantage. nothing I wouldnt expect from alt-right website. I dont know how to open more comments, I see just first few that mostly contain bad /pol/ tier memes, no content just lame memes. Articles I opened had about 130 comments. So reader base cant be very large.

I dont really know who reads that page but based on last two articles its very clear that author knows Felix is not antisemite. But he does try to get him on their side. I dont think he will have much success.

You keep insisting on this point, despite the fact that it’s flagrantly and blatantly false.

17 Likes

During the days of oppression and poverty of the Russian shtetls, one village had a rumour going around: a Christian girl was found murdered near their village. Fearing a pogrom, they gathered at the synagogue. Suddenly, the rabbi came running up, and cried, “Wonderful news! The murdered girl was Jewish!”

12 Likes

You have every right to be offended by Jewish jokes and every right to protest about them.
And (dont take this as offense) I dont really care if you are Jewish, Black, Indian, teenage girl or cis white german male. It makes no difference to me, we are all human. You can be offended in all cases and your point generally isnt more valid if you have bad personal experience. I am not trying to trivialize suffering of you, your family or nation but statement that killing Jews is NOT OK has same validity no matter who states it.
My point was that all those sentences in a joke are somehow similar. Each would offend somebody. Some like chickens and feel their lives are valuable more than dinner. Some kids have dads that are terrorists and I am sure they dont want them to be killed. Rapists probably dont want to be killed themselves and many would probably not rape if they could refrain their urges, so some think they need to be treated for their disease. Punching nazis… yeah that could be OK, but you have to make sure you dont accuse innocent people being nazis and you dont use term nazi for “everyone I dont like”.
This is pointless anyways. You knew very well what was my point before I explained it like a lame joke.

Quick on your last few assumptions about me. I dont defend PewDiePie, I never watched single entire video he made until few days ago. I defend people who make dark humor jokes. Any kind of jokes. I value everybodys right to express themselves how they want over the right to not be offended of people who witness that expression of idea. And I don not think that murdering people is excusable at any point. Not in war, not as death penalty. I also dont like killing animals for food.
Greater context of joke was not about “your murder”, this was just small contextually not important part of it. Some people would feel equally offended if indian guys would put chicken or cow word there instead. Indians would probably even not post it if he would use word cow instead. I am very sorry that 5 million people found something that hurts you funny but I dont know how to help you at that. Except saying “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me.” Some people find it outrageous that we are killing cute little animals and eat them. For them even this quote doesnt help.
2ww and Holocaust, all other genocides and wars in general are incredibly tragic events. We need to talk about them. Never forget. So we dont repeat them (although we are constantly doing it all over the world). To not forget we NEED to talk about those events. Since history books arent often topic of bar conversions, hard topics like this can become often part of public discourse with jokes. This is why I think they are important. Many of those kids posting hitler memes around internet would have no idea who hitler was and what happened during 2ww if there would not be such jokes. They dont read history books. By seeing hitler and jews jokes on internet some of them check at least wikipeadia article, and some mention hitler in front of parents and parents explain to them what he did wrong. I think that beneficial effect of informing people about injustices through jokes outweighs few retards that might took those jokes seriously. But from my experience I have heard hundreds of such jokes and not a single time I had a feeling that people present understood those jokes as approval of Holocaust. But I dont hang with such people so my views might be skewed.

I am gonna stop replying here. I get your point, I hope you get mine too. I dont want to spam comment section. If you want to talk more you can get me at lurker69(@)mail.com

No – people said he supports Nazis because of his public statements regarding Jews, Hitler, etc. Statements which you have agreed he has made many times.

And yes, we understand that you think these statements shouldn’t count because actually you claim they were intended as jokes even though they weren’t funny and were completely unrecognisable as jokes but actually they were intended as jokes honest and so by internationally-recognised playground rules neener-neener no backsies they don’t count as saying those things. There’s no need for you to cry those gamergater rules-lawyering tears again; we’ve totally received your opinions on the matter, and will give them the full measure of consideration to which they’re due.

15 Likes

Spoken like someone that’s never suffered sustained psychological abuse, been a target for hate-groups, had stalker issues etc. etc.

Can we not? Thnx.

19 Likes
21 Likes

There’s an xkcd for everything. :thumbsup:

14 Likes

Its not there. I am not really American and I have romantic and very radical view of right of free speech. I completely understand that many don’t agree with me.

But are you suggesting that physical violence is appropriate response to somebody that offended you verbally? Or that punishing people by slandering of people who said a joke you don’t like is acceptable?
I think there should be some law that prohibits you doing so.
And in this case Felix was telling jokes to some other people. You think third part has right to forcefully prevent him of telling jokes that third party consider inappropriate?

I can’t comment here anymore. Limit for new users. So I edited this old comment. You can continue to debate me at lurker69(@)mail.com if you wish.

I already said that that nothing about protection from violence is in 1st amendment. I was wrong. I don’t know much about US law. But in my shitty opinion in most countries you are legally protected from physical violence if you say bad jokes.

About slandering, I am also technically wrong. Slander is spoken defamatory statement Libel is written one.

And Felix is not accused of saying things. He just showed videos that included anti semitic symbolism or statements. I am talking about things from WSJ video. Those things were clearly parts of his videos, nobody denies that. But were misrepresented by WSJ trying to picture Felix being antisemite. There were four main clips.
In one Felix was watching hitler documentary, that was meant to show that YouTube Heroes project is like Nazi propaganda.
In second Felix said “If I dress as nazi soldier media will take this out of context to picture me as nazi” Then he shows clip sitting in nazi like (just similar not even close to real one) uniform. And media did exactly that.
Third and forth one was him saying that on pages like fiverr will people will do literally anything, even as bad things as write “kill all the jews” or “hitler did nothing wrong”. Other people did this and he just showed the footage and was actually very shocked and outraged over this.

All those 4 points, where he clearly indicated that hitler and Holocaust is a bad thing, were taken out of context and recompiled showing him as that he thinks that those things are not bad.

Is this slander/libel? WSJ was careful to never claim that Felix is antisemite, but they suggested it many times. And most people who superficially read the article (and many other articles based on SJW piece) assume Felix is antisemite. According to first link about his on google: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/libel-vs-slander-different-types-defamation.html
"writing “I think” doesn’t automatically convert a statement of fact into a statement of opinion. If you are talking to people who trust and believe you, and who know that you don’t joke around, they are very likely to believe you and thus believe that Roger stole money from you. Thus, if Roger did not steal any money from you, you have slandered Roger."
Jury decides, but for me this is clearly libel. They knew that video and article will present those clips in different way Felix presented them. But my experience in US law system is literally two episodes of Law and Order and Judge Judy.
What they did is similar to taking clips out of Allo Allo sitcom about 2ww claiming that authors posted nazi insignia and low key suggesting that producers might be nazis themsleves.
Or almost like taking audio of somebody saying “I do not like hitler”, deleting “not” and posting is as he stated he likes hitler.
It doesn’t really matter if it was a joke, philosophical essay, comedic sketch, or history documentary. Thing is they intentionally misrepresented his message with intent to cause him damage.