Gamergate's color scheme is a rape joke

Stop digging, holy fuck. The women speaking out against harassment and death threats are not loony. You are attempting to silence women who are receiving death threats. Ignoring the problem won’t make it go away. And your opinions on a subject you admit to not having full knowledge of have just crossed the border to blatant sexism.

2 Likes

Put your condescending worrying and non-apology where the sun doesn’t shine.

2 Likes

Are you fucking kidding me here? He isn’t an ally! He even says as much. No, we do not have to be nice to our oppressors and silencers. He called us loony for speaking out. He is part of the problem, not an ally. He even admits he doesn’t care about this subject. How he an ally?? Your reply is nearly as condescending as his!

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

But you should also know that “ignoring the trolls” is not considered good advice when said trolls are handing out threats. It may well be that 99.999% of those threats are jokes.

But that still leaves 1 in 10,000 that are real threats. Which are not a good idea to avoid.

7 Likes

I wasn’t talking about Norzhi. I totally support you on this.
I was talking about your specifically including “men” as the problem as if being a man automatically makes you ignorant on this issue.
IMO, men have the responsibility to end this kind of harassment.

2 Likes

Except gamergate formed as a means to attack those people, and to the extent that there is an “anti-” side at all, it is just those of us disgusted with those attacks. If the victims speaking out means something to you, you might read through what Quinn says about “neutrality”.

7 Likes

Pull the other one, it has bells.

4 Likes

I don’t see a board setting their own standards, and moderators enforcing those standards for the board’s own discussions, as potential censorship.

(Unless they’re the government, or the internet company, or some comparable monopoly, of course.)

I see derailers, griefers, and spammers, among others, disrupting the board’s discussions, driving people away from the board’s discussions, etc. as potential censorship, because that can make it harder to discuss certain things, to create safer spaces to discuss certain things, etc.

4 Likes

At what point will you make a suggestion -other- than about how to complain properly? Be the change. Change the focus. Go on, but do not stop at complaining, else you’re just complaining.

3 Likes

Again, sorry for my poor conversational skill, this has gotten me in trouble in the past as well.

I don’t think the threats should be ignored, even if they aren’t backed up by actual deeds, they are still a criminal act and should be dealt with by the police. If people react in some other way, the ones making the threats will ignore everything else apart from “I made that person do that.” Admittedly, even involving the police does that, but then they will have the law falling on them which will hopefully give them more pressing matters to attend to.

Yep, I was going to mention that. I have a genderqueer pride flag decal on my car.

1 Like

Alright I’ll shut up. :wink:

But before I do…I’m saying that it’s no surprise when a victim complains of harassment. But when those who aren’t the intended victims speak up, that’s when real change starts. GG isn’t going to go away if only those who are the targets complain. Everyone needs to speak out against it. So those who say I don’t have an opinion or I don’t care, you’re part of the problem.

2 Likes

Here you are, essentially saying that rape and death threats are similar to speaking out against and discussing that harassment. This is the same bullshit I’ve heard while fighting for marriage equality. I bet the same bullshit arguments were told to those fighting for civil rights, also by people without a dime in the game or any understanding of the subject. Sigh. You and everyone like you are part of the fucking problem.

2 Likes

I NEVER SAID OR IMPLIED THAT. Not even close. Read my comment again.

I saw even the animated one, after minor digging.

Given the many times demonstrated unreliability of the public “screampinion” in emotionally laden discussions, these are unsuitable for deriving context.

That a large number of people joins a bandwagon of calling something a $thing does not yet make it a $thing.

But it definitely attracts clicks and eyeballs, so this scheme of “discussion-making” won’t be replaced with anything more reliable anytime soon.

Citation for your claim, please. And the fact that you think the police are always or even sometimes helpful to women who are victims of harassment or worse: hahahahahaha.

why do you keep lecturing us about a subject you admit to not having much knowledge of it concern for?!?!

1 Like

Even went so far as to add an avatar, too! Impressive!

1 Like

I’m just going to quote three words what you were responding to:

I can’t even see how to read this uncharitably as @marilove blaming all men, so pulling the “not all men” card seems pretty out of place here.

The problem is that I just don’t see this happening. If there really were two camps, gamergate and anti-gamergate and they were just throwing insults and threats back and forth, then I could see stepping back and saying, “Whoa, I don’t want anything to do with this.” But there is one camp, it began its existence to attack a particular person and expanded outward from there, and the people who are against that camp are not an organized “other side” they are just people who think that the hashtag is inextricably linked to terrible behaviour.

If there was a gang committing crimes downtown and most of the people in the city said things like, “Wow, we have to do something about that gang,” and “People in that gang are real assholes,” would you take the same stance? “I have no dog in this fight.” One side of the “fight” is criminals harassing people and the other side are the bulk of civil society who want criminal harassment to stop. It’s a very weird thing to go out of your way to declare your neutrality about.

Maybe you imagine that reporting these threats to the police will get something done. It won’t. Maybe Felicia Day can get something done because she’s been on real TV shows, I don’t know, but apparently Sarkeesian can’t get police to keep guns out of an event that someone has threatened to shoot up (this may or may not be because of a bad state law, I’m not assigning blame, I just think there is some blame to assign). If reporting threats to police resulted in action that caused that person to stop making threats and ensured that person would never act on their threats, then I can see why all of this discussion about gamergate would seem silly - why not just report the criminals and move on? That is not at all how it works.

7 Likes

Your opinion is entirely about other peoples opinions. What a load of hot air when you complain about the status quo!

1 Like

I moved 5 posts to a new topic: Maybe we read manga art styles in opposing ways

1 Like