Gangnam Style finally dethroned as most-played YouTube video

Some do take into account aggregate views from multiple postings of the same thing. I can’t say for sure if it’s the case for the numbers they’re using for Gangnam and everything else in that list.

Don’t think they take into account parodies and other takes of the song. Remixes, acapella, etc. but not doing so might not explain the full scope of how popular a song really is.

3 Likes

Those extra views that took down Gangham Style? THIS guy.

7 Likes

That was OUTRAGEOUS!

thank you

1 Like
2 Likes

Any idea how much money two billion YouTube views nets? Gotta be a decent payday.

1 Like

I think it’s about $7000 / million views.

So $14 Million?

3 Likes

From what I can find (and the data may be out of date), YouTube pays $1k per million views, so 2 billion views is a cool $2 million.

1 Like

No, but in the 2017 where MTV stuck with it’s mission, we are all going to mtv.com to watch them. It’s the defacto web site for all music videos, and they have top 10 lists, and music video awards which still make sense. And in fact because streaming audio is just a subset of streaming video, people still use the mtv.com streaming music service for audio-only when on the go with mobile devices. The MTV cable channel still exists, but it’s just a curated set of videos and music-related shows which are on mtv.com.

3 Likes

I see that this guy speaks the international language of Autotuner.

In South Korea (home of Gangnam Style!), some music shows on television have charts based on a combination of sales, streaming views (IIRC) and audience votes. The number one act for the week gets presented with an award. It’s like a mini-Eurovision, every week.

2 Likes

I’ll just leave this here.

(If you’re wondering what it’s got to do with the Kim Dynasty, press play.)

3 Likes

-files it in the evidence drawer-

1 Like

Huh? I didn’t say anything about using your TV, or watching the cable channel called MTV. My statement was simply about the fact that music videos are still hot, baby! MTV can serve shit up any way they want, or they can disappear altogether, never to be heard from again, for all I care.

You need to get working on your rickrolling game then! :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.