General Sportsball thread

Sigh. I will miss his seemingly effortless play of astounding shots and his lack of ego.

9 Likes
5 Likes

Apparently sparked by a cricket match

3 Likes
4 Likes

Previous permission for the inscription “Jesus” also barred

This will end well

I’m sorry, you can’t have the name of a current player in the Brazilian national team on your shirt, it’s a forbidden word.

6 Likes

These corporations stir more confusion whenever they try to avoid controversies. Do they, as people, miss the good old simpler days? /s

3 Likes

12 Likes
5 Likes

This will divide people, it is perfectly legal but not really the spirit.

1 Like

So is this a bit like tagging a runner on base who keeps trying to get a head start on their run, in that its allowable but seems shady?

3 Likes

Easy solution: don’t leave the crease.

Sure maybe it’s “not cricket” because it’s a bit of a trick. But . . . stay in the crease.

3 Likes

Nearly every batter in the short form of the game will take a foot or two, if the opposition think the batter is taking the mickey they will give an informal warning – but they do not have to, it is a rare occurrence and will leave grudges, it looks like the bowler did not discuss it with her teammates.

Easy to say

2 Likes
4 Likes

i.e. they realized that many players aren’t willing to risk major injuries for a post season game that means every little to players

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s also a trial balloon for flag foorball to replace full contact. While they will deny it as long as they can, eventually either the law or lawsuits over CTE will force the NFL to reduce impact in the sport.

And, to be honest, it will improve the game. Flag football is faster and more fun to watch.

4 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes

:rage:

In the bulletin, Duffy wrote that referees in Oregon have to treat boys and girls soccer games differently, stating that boys are better at playing through contact than girls are, and adding that referees need to be more strict about carding girls games.

First off, this is horribly sexist. Second, reality is the opposite. I’ve watched a lot of youth and high school soccer in Oregon. Boys fall to the turf and act like they were shot if they think they can draw a foul, just like their counterparts in professional leagues. I’ve seen girls play through contact that makes me cringe, and I think they’ve learned that because many refs don’t call the game as closely. I’ve also seen more fights break out in girls games, and IMO, that is almost always because the refs are letting too much go.

Crossposted to mysogyny thread.

9 Likes
8 Likes

Awesome!

I saw the stats from a solid NWSL game last week, and it really shows the difference between the women’s game and the men’s. Completed passes for both teams was in the 85% range, shots on goal vs shots were well over 50% - these are the kind of numbers prime Champions League teams would put up - Real Madrid vs Bayern Munich kinda numbers. Easily 10-20% better than comparable MLS teams.

5 Likes