General Sportsball thread

… literal gladiators in the actual Colosseum got the same kind of “support”

4 Likes

Anyway… Here are pictures from Pele’s lying in state in Santos…

World Cup Yes GIF by FIFA

A true GOAT!

7 Likes

It happened to a Maryland lacrosse player a couple of years ago too.

3 Likes

Uh, I shouldn’t have to say this, but it’s possible to both care for the well-being of people who are influenced by systemic racism and be a fan of the thing in question to begin with. The idea that “you like X therefore Y” Falls apart almost every time it’s used.

Additionally. we push back on gatekeeping pretty hard here when it comes to hobbies, including sportsball. Don’t jump to conclusions about fans, non-fans, or their motivations, nor try to define “true” fans here anymore than we would for any other hobby or activity, please. That includes the possibility that people who weren’t paying attention before may be now, that doesn’t invalidate their opinions. Weigh them as you wish for yourself, do not pass judgement on your fellow mutants because of them. We discuss things here.

Thanks.

7 Likes

Stumbled across this on reddit today

6 Likes

You know victims can be strong smart successful people though right?

I dunno man you clearly have a lot of feels about this but there’s something kind of dark in the assumption that people who are victimized by something can’t also be high achievers who make the best of it too.

I try not to decide whether some one can or cannot have been victimized by anything in this world by judging their face and I try not to see victimization as something shameful because plenty of strong smart successful people have overcome or accepted some degree of victimization at some point on their life.

Just pointing it out because in some sad worldviews afaik there are never any “good” victims just “not victims” and “weak losers.”

I have no desire to argue so I’ll say nothing else.

8 Likes
3 Likes

So that kind of football also addles players’ brains? :thinking:

4 Likes

Yes, it is being treated seriously – limiting heading for training etc…

3 Likes

I kinda feel for the guy. Here he was thinking that he’s going to someplace fun, exciting with tons of parties with booze and pretty ladies just to find out he’s going to Saudi Arabia instead.

3 Likes

Unspecified “positive direction,” but I will take that. The lack of updates was causing me to have very dark thoughts about where this was going.

7 Likes

(NY Times reprint)

1 Like

Could you explain what that term means please?

Literally every player in the league will be injured in the course of their employment. In fact, depending on how you count it, it could be hundreds of % due to every one being injured multiple times. Not every one will be dramatic, highlight reel stuff, but the lower level, chronic, repeated injuries probably claim more long term debilities than the more dramatic ones.

13 Likes

I see, thank you. I did wonder whether there was some degree of injury or period of time.

I think there are probably many sports where this is the case, from football (soccer) to motorcycle racing, many of them due to training as much as actual gameplay.

I imagine that the more contact sports, for example, rugby (league and union) and Australian rules football are probably amongst those that are much more than 100%.

1 Like

Of course. But it’s not up to any of us to confer victimhood status to people who aren’t asking for that. Since Monday, there hasn’t been a single retirement. A whole lot of players have said they don’t want to play this week (or implied such), but I haven’t heard any of the actual people involved say they’re done with the game. It’s just quite possible there’s more to the discussion than “Football BAD!”

Interesting term, that. How does it differ from the one that describes him as what he actually is-- a victim?

5 Likes
6 Likes

I’m surprised that there isn’t an NFL tweet proclaiming he’ll be playing next time his team plays…

I’m glad he’s improving and hope he’s okay.

5 Likes

Same here

3 Likes